sap-like resin + mold grown on tulip bulbs - saveable?

voxleoOctober 23, 2011

Parade tulips have some mold spots, which I am wondering if it can be killed with something and still save the bulbs that are just spotty and not overwhelmed, but some have a clear/translucent flexible substance that looks and feels like melted hot glue drips from a glue gun (but unlikely that they could have been exposed to this) or hardened really pale pine sap on them - any idea what this is? Is this some kind of fungus or is this coming from the bulbs? Do I plant them anyway or will this be bad for other plants in the soil?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

hmmm...where did they come from? Big box store? Bought on line? I've never heard of or seen such a thing.

As far as the mold, you can try wiping off as much as possible and then give them a brief dip/soak in bleach water. 1 part bleach to 10 parts water.

Sue

Bookmark   October 25, 2011 at 4:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katob Z6ish, NE Pa

The bleach solution is a good idea, but for tulips I usually ignore that stuff and just go ahead and plant them anyway. If the bulbs are firm it should not do them any damage, I usually peel them of any moldy skins but it probably doesn't matter much. I think the gluey stuff is from the bulb, some kind of dried sap like you say.

I never get the glue when I store my own bulbs... probably don't have the perfectly controlled, low enough humidity to cause the sap to gum up.

Now if you're chilling them in the fridge that might be a different story, I have no idea what that stuff does under refrigeration.

Bookmark   October 27, 2011 at 8:34PM
More Discussions
Reblooming tulips
I don't have good luck with tulips the second year...
els60
Daffodil foliage emerging
I'm not one to panic when spring bulb foliage appears...
agardenstateof_mind
What to do with tulip bulbs
Recent visitors from the Netherlands brought me 30...
chickadee3a
Gloriosa lily in zone 7b
Does anyone have experience growing gloriosa lily (gloriosa...
southerngardening24
Ideas on Bulbs
Hello everyone, I was thinking of getting a bulb for...
nad0nad
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™