Mold on bulbs

selbourne(5/6)October 20, 2011

I just unpacked my bulb order and found mold on some of the hyacinths and scilla. An enclosure from the bulb company said that there might be a some penicillium mold but it was harmless.

I intend to force the hyacinths in glasses (I've been doing this for years) and I know that sometimes a bulb will rot and not flower, but I don't remember if they showed mold. The scilla will be planted outdoors.

Should I treat the moldy bulbs in any way? I was wondering if a weak bleach solution would help. Should I just wash them? Do nothing? I'd appreciate your advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Per the link below...
Step 1
Treat storage mold by gently holding the daffodil bulb in your hand and wiping the surface clean. The mold should rub right off. You can identify simple storage mold by the fact that it will be dry and fuzzy rather than slimy. It will have a bluish hue. This mold forms because of humidity and inadequate circulation.
Step 2
Dip the cleaned bulbs in the 10% bleach solution for ten seconds to prevent further mold growth. Allow them to dry on a well-ventilated rack before planting.

I think that should do it just fine.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Mold on bulbs

Bookmark   October 21, 2011 at 1:48PM
More Discussions
What is this weed bulb?
This is some sort of bulb - all I know about it. It...
jacqueline9CA
Frozen Glad Bulbs
I screwed up. Dug up my gladiolus bulbs, but left them...
gorgar1
40% bulb sale on Van Engelen
in case anyone is interested.
KarenPA_6b
Help! Ranunculus drooping.
I live in Zone 9-9b and planted some ranunculus plants...
av3108
Experience with Ordering from Brecks or Royal Dutch Catalogs??
Has anyone ordered spring flowering bulbs from either...
bobk_stl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™