Spinach/Lettuce (How Many?)

brkieffner(5B)March 20, 2012

Hello all.

I've looked in a lot of places and can't find any information that clearly states how many plants one should have to feed themselves a salad. I currently have two varieties of lettuce growing as well as one spinach plant in a window box. These doesn't seem to be enough at all.

I've heard about succession planting which is fine but how many plants should I have from the offset to have a nice salad?

Thanks for the help gals and guys!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rina_

That is really very "personal"...how much salad do you eat? For myself only, I grow usually 4plants of red and 4plants of green, and min. 3rows of spinach. I start lettuce from seeds, 1 of each variety every 2 weeks - so I always have some ready to pick. Often new leaves start from the stem - I only get rid of stems after no more leaves growing. I also grow 4-5 var. of basil, chives, arugula, swiss chard (new leaves used in salad), also a malabar spinach-use only young tender leaves (fast growing climber, it looks nice in the garden).

Bookmark   March 20, 2012 at 8:55PM
TheMasterGardener1(5B)

I have 4 spinach plants each in a #1 nurserey pot. They seem to be doing well but I do not think they will give me too much.

Bookmark   March 20, 2012 at 9:02PM
4Hleader(5)

Our family can, on average, go through 6 small heads of lettuce per week. None of us are vegetarians and one will only eat lettuce under duress. I agree with rina in that if you eat plenty of salads, you'll want to keep a steady supply of seedlings, slowly switching over to varieties that will tolerate heat better than ones you might think to plant now. If you have any pest problems, you might want to account for that also. That's one of the reasons that I still grow some greens in containers; if I keep them very, very close to the house, the deer probably won't eat them.

Bookmark   March 22, 2012 at 12:39AM
More Discussions
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
Trying Petunias indoors
I thought that I would try to grow some Petunias indoors,...
nopets
zone 9 or so best roses for containers
what are your best roses for container gardening
zippity1
Help with 5:1:1
Some lol-basic questions about quantities needed for...
containergardenerbeginner
Coarse Perlite for 5:1:1
Hi all, first off is "coarse" the correct...
halocline
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™