ants in large containers for tomatoes

sammy zone 7 TulsaMarch 31, 2012

I have 20 containers for tomatoes. They are about 20" and a few half whiskey barrel pots. Many - way too many are loaded with ants. I have dumped out the soil, and have new soil, but would like to know if there are simple methods for discouraging ants or treating them early.

I have an ant bait that I have put around the pots in the past, but this year our temperature have been wonderful, and the ants have really taken over the pots. I intend to get the weeds out, dump out the infested soil, replace it, then scatter the ant bait around the pots.

I do not like chemicals, but ants can be pretty bad here.

Could you tell me what you do to control ants? (I have a large rose garden, and have stopped insecticides for about 5 or 6 years. I really do not want to go that route.

Sammy (Tulsa OK)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Terro liquid ant baits placed near your pots will quickly take care of the issue, and they're safe.

Alternately, you can mix some boric acid (at drugstore - sold as an eye wash) with honey, corn syrup, or artificially flavored maple syrup. Put the mixture in bottle caps & place near the ant activity - also very safe.

Both the above methods will take care of the entire colony.

If you can keep it dry, DE sprinkled on a flat surface near ant activity will also rid the immediate area.

Al

Bookmark   April 1, 2012 at 10:52AM
sammy zone 7 Tulsa

Thanks, Al.
Borax contains Tetraborate. Do you happen to know if that would also be effective? I think it is used to do laundry.

Sammy

Bookmark   April 1, 2012 at 11:37AM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Yes - many people just use borax mixed with sugar or powdered sugar. Don't mix the products containing borax into your soil though. It only takes a very small amount of boron, an element essential to normal plant growth, to create toxicity levels.

Al

Bookmark   April 1, 2012 at 1:53PM
sb158(9a)

I've had some success with a couple cups of molasses in a bucket of water dumped on the containers. It's worked in several of my containers, so it may be worth a try

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 10:15PM
rina_

This is a 'folk remedy', but apparently peels from cucumbers deter ants. Supposed to just lay them (just peeled off the cuke) wherever ants are, and they dissapear.
I did not try this yet.

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 8:25AM
More Discussions
Cor-ten planters safe for growing edibles?
I'd like to grow some edibles but the best sun is in...
midwestgal67
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
Potting into Air Pots, root length question
Hello all, My question is, air pots are supposed to...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Al and others..Foliage Pro fertilizer?
I just wanted to get an update on what you think of...
meyermike_1micha
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™