Soil for water loving plants?

rozenkruetzMarch 5, 2014

I have some gotu kola and black pepper to repot and was wondering if anyone knew of any good soil mixes for these type of plants since they both love sitting in water. I tried Als 5-1-1 for one of my gotus and it crashed like a plane without wings.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
OffbeatJenn

I use ProMix when I want more water retention. It's fine particles, but they don't compress too quickly, so they still let the roots get air. I find I get better foliage production and color in it vs. a bark-based mix. If there's a hydroponics store near you, they can probably special order it.

Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 11:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Well, 511 is a very well drained mix. But you can reduce pine bark and increase peat moss (make it 50/50) and eliminate perlite and replace it with Vermiculite. While perlite does not absorb any water, Vermiculite is highly absorbant. You might also want to try adding some Floor Dri (DE) which also retains a lot of water (almost 100% of its weight)

3-3-1 ( 3 parts pine fine, no nuggets, 3 part peat moss, 1 part vermiculite) This is just a conceptualiztion of a moisture retentive mix.

I am sure the experts will chime in.

Bookmark   March 6, 2014 at 12:23AM
More Discussions
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Question about too much dryness in my container garden
I have several Behlen food-grade stocktanks (1x2x6)...
catherinet
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
Any issues planting in copper pots?
I have some old copper containers I want to use for...
garden_dogs
Help with 5:1:1
Some lol-basic questions about quantities needed for...
containergardenerbeginner
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™