Tulip bulbs just becoming soft

tangerine_z6(6)October 25, 2008

Hi, I have just received a bunch of different bulbs for planting including tulip bulbs that give a bit when pressed with a finger. Do you think I could force these bulbs inside? They are not discolored or squishy. All thoughts welcome. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

You don't say where these bulbs have been. Tulips with no chilling will probably not bloom if forced. Al

Bookmark   October 26, 2008 at 9:39AM
tangerine_z6(6)

Hi, The bulbs came to me by mail order through a coop. I put them in the refrigerator yesterday and will take them out during the dreary days of winter to force. I wasn't sure if they could still be used with the small amount of softness they have, but they're probably good. Thanks.

Bookmark   October 26, 2008 at 9:55AM
seacat

Tangerine,

Chilling hyacinths by just putting the bulbs in the fridge worked for me but tulips seem to need to grow roots and they didn't do that for me after required months in frig. I believe you would need to plant them in pots and put the pots in the frid, if you have that much room in your fridge, or a spare one.

Bookmark   November 1, 2008 at 1:24PM
calistoga_al

Tulips stored in the refrig bare as they are will not grow roots until planted either in pots or in the ground. This assumes they will only be left in the frig for up to 3 months. Left longer than that I have had some start to grow foliage. If you have room you could pot them in the refrig in damp mix and they will grow roots, left long enough they will grow foliage. With the growth of foliage they would need to be removed into the light. If I had a walkin refrigerator I would probably do this. Al

Bookmark   November 2, 2008 at 9:08AM
tangerine_z6(6)

Hi. I forgot to check in with the election going on but thanks for letting me know what to do with the tulips. I'll pot them and put them in the refrigerator. I do remember that the hyacinths were fine just with chilling.

Bookmark   November 6, 2008 at 7:49AM
More Discussions
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
What is this weed bulb?
This is some sort of bulb - all I know about it. It...
jacqueline9CA
Transfer water vase hyacinth bulbs
Hello, I have two hyacinths that were forced in water...
veganinpurrsss
Poll: What new flowers will be coming up next Spring?
So, I went a bit crazy this fall and will have planted...
posierosie_zone7a__
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™