Autumn Crocus Disaster

aggiebee(6b)October 29, 2010

This is my first fall in a new house and I really wanted something to bloom NOW! So I planted autumn crocus. What a disaster! They sprout, they flop, they end up looking like they've been steamrolled. It's really a depressing sight. I ripped 'em out in a fit of annoyance.

I am guessing the smarter way to plant them is in between some other perennial that will help hold them up.

What do other people do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wvbetsy(z6WV)

I love fall crocus. Unfortunately, they don't last very long. They do flop but I enjoy them while they're still standing. Mixing them in with ground covers and other low growing plants gives a very nice affect.

Bookmark   October 29, 2010 at 11:33PM
wvbetsy(z6WV)

By autumn crocus do you mean colcheums or true crocus? I grow both and enjoy the color they add to the fall garden.

Bookmark   October 30, 2010 at 2:34PM
aggiebee(6b)

They are true crocus, I have more just poking out in other parts of the garden (I put them in late). What ground covers and low growing plants would you recommend?

Bookmark   October 30, 2010 at 6:59PM
wvbetsy(z6WV)

There are many fall crocus and no all of them flop. I have crocus cartwrightianus which is just finishing blooming and it doesn't flop. I have others that flop and I don't know which ones they are. I planted them years ago and have lost the labels. I also have safron crocus. They hold up fairly well because the foliage comes up with the bloom.

Check out the question about saffron crocus blooming; follow the link in the answer and you will learn alot about the various fall crocus.

Bookmark   November 1, 2010 at 9:32PM
More Discussions
Gloriosa lily in zone 7b
Does anyone have experience growing gloriosa lily (gloriosa...
southerngardening24
Crocus Bulbs in Fridge
I fell behind in the fall and ordered some crocus bulbs...
bahamutangel
Reblooming tulips
I don't have good luck with tulips the second year...
els60
Storing Oxalis rhizomes
I've just repotted an old oxalis triangularis that's...
garystpaul
why wont my amaryllis bloom
I have had two plants for a about 3 years now and neither...
Tinkerbel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™