Spring floweing bulbs in pachysandra?

jlc102482(6)October 6, 2012

Does anyone here have any perennial spring-flowering bulbs in pachysandra beds? I have two large, mature pachysandra beds that are horribly boring and could use some color. I hate to waste time, effort and bulbs by planting anything there if there's little hope of it coming up in the spring. I was thinking some tulips, daffodils and maybe some hyacinths. Has anyone else had luck doing this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katob Z6ish, NE Pa

Give daffodils a try! Tulips and hyacinths will probably not last too long but if you pick the right daffodil it should work out. Go with a tried and true older variety (basically anything that's cheap and readily available), look for the biggest bulbs and make sure it's a taller variety. Ice follies or any yellow trumpet would be good, but don't be afraid to experiment with a couple different ones here and there.
Just dig in with a shovel, pull up a couple pachysandra strands to clear a small spot and pop in the bulbs. Don't over think it :)

I used to have bunches mixed in with the pachysandra, they did fine.

Bookmark   October 8, 2012 at 8:59PM
calistoga_al

My only Pachysandra bed was planted in deep shade under a conifer. I planted the Pachysandra there because nothing else would grow. If yours is where it gets the sun, I agree with kato b. Al

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 9:13AM
ofionnachta(z6 WNJ)

I have some Spanish bluebells planted in a pachysandra bed in front of the house & they are fine there. They are tough & can compete with the pachy roots.

The pachydsandra is going this spring, though. It was there when we bought the house & I have never liked it.

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 2:05PM
More Discussions
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
Please Help! Can I plant allium bulbs in the spring?
Hello all, I just found this website yesterday and...
midwestplantsfan
Any small tulips which voles & squirrels won't eat?
I would love to plant some small tulips, in the 4 to...
Eimer
Crocus Bulbs in Fridge
I fell behind in the fall and ordered some crocus bulbs...
bahamutangel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™