Asiatic Lillies for $1.00 at Lowe's

dahlia_newbie(9)October 18, 2008

I know very little about Asiatic Lillies, don't even know if they are a bulb, but wanted to share the deal with everyone. Found Premium Asiatic Lillies (bright yellow color) on clearance for $1.00 each at Lowe's in Spring, TX - 2920 @ Khuykendahl. I only got two, but there were about 20 left. They probably have them marked down at other area locations too. They are done blooming, of course, but they'll be pretty next year!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

FWIW - don't treat lilies like bulbs. If they dry out you only 'might' be able to get them up to flowering again.

Best plan is to either plant them at their proper depth 'yesterday'. Second best is to plant them into a fairly big container and keep them cool, and damp but not soggy, with mid-morning sun and no deep freezing. Third best is to bury them in damp gritty untreated sawdust or plain gritty sand and get them planted quickly when the sprouts show. Prepare ahead for the plot where you want them. Lots of compost and a big X marks the spot - leave it free.

They like cool feet and heads in the sun. They prefer a good, rich soil with great drainage. They're comfortable growing among shrubs or tall perennials so there is coolth at the bottom and wind protection.

If you're growing them for picking - plant them with stakes just like gladiolus or tall dahlias - and plant in rows that you can get to.

The asiatics tend to produce lots of offsets...

Bookmark   October 19, 2008 at 2:34AM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

Everything vetivert8 said is true. I go one step further and divide my Asiatics into 4,6 or 8 before replanting. It was a real surprise to me that the new divisions produced as large a plant as if the bulb(yes they are a bulb)was left intact. It is important that a part of the base plate, where the roots were or are, be included as part of each division. Al

Bookmark   October 19, 2008 at 8:52AM
mchad21

I'll ask this here because I know Al will know the answer..when do the other lily bulbs; i.e. OT, Species, etc start showing up at the big box stores? I've got a few holes I'm waiting to fill in the garden.

Thanks.
Matt

Bookmark   October 19, 2008 at 11:03AM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

We have only had a Lowe's here for a few months and they are twenty miles away so I am not very familiar with their operation. Home Depot and Costco both have a limited selection of spring bulbs, don't expect anything unusual. No summer bulbs will be available until late winter, again nothing unusual. They sell quantity and price, not selection. Al

Bookmark   October 20, 2008 at 9:50AM
linnea56(z5 IL)

It will vary by the store too. A few years ago I got great lilies at Lowe's in a rural area. All the kinds appeared at the same time, with all the bulbs like tulips. there were no OTs. But I did get asiatics, orientals, trumpets. Nothing exotic. A new Lowe's finally opened in my area and they had no lilies at all, nor any of the Lowe's nearby.

Bookmark   October 26, 2008 at 11:09PM
More Discussions
Snowdrops in the green...
Does anyone know of a source for purchasing snowdrops...
scott_madison
When should you see buds within tulip foliage?
So, I have some tulip foliage sprouting in the garden....
ffreidl z5a
Phaedranassa dubia
Hi all, I bought this bulb couple of months ago. It...
radhavall
stars of bethlehem
Anything new on the market that will kill stars of...
flowergirl70ks
what's goin' on
grocery store tulips , and am i blue
daves10z7annv
Sponsored Products
Hunter Fan Low Profile III - 52"
Overstock.com
Zig Zag Area Rug
Grandin Road
Rum Line Steamer Trunk
| Dot & Bo
Regency Solar Post Three Lamp with Pole