Saffron Crocus bulbs

phalnellie(z6TN)October 4, 2009

I have some saffron crocus bulbs, it's October but it has been raining a lot...Question - do I still plant the bulbs outside now? And will they bloom in a few weeks or spring? Has anyone tried in pots indoors during the winter?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

They're autumn-flowering and they probably won't flower this year - but there's always one...;-(.

Pop them into a mix that is guaranteed to dry out. They hate being left in the wet over their dormant time (spring to autumn).

The leaves will come up soon and stay over the winter. Keep them moist-enough while they are growing.

Around April they will start looking yellow - just like the other autumn crocuses. Let them dry off and keep them away from your summer watering system.

Plant in September. Watch anxiously. Wait for those beautiful little cups with the amazing orange-y tassels and go 'Aaah' (I do!)

I have this sort of memory that saffron is like tuber rose and tulip - the bulb flowers once then breaks into daughter bulbs and has to grow on to flowering size. Somehow you need to develop a 'succession' system so there are always some coming into flower and some growing up to size each year.

Bookmark   October 6, 2009 at 5:15AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnny65

Last year, which was my first year trying the saffron crocus, they all grew but there were no flowers... I read that this could happen and that I might have better luck this year. It is October 16th and the leaves are just coming up with the earliest only about 2 inches so far. All of my bulbs are in planters or oak barrels. I'm happy to see they have multiplied. I have my fingers crossed, hoping I will see some flowers this year! I would be happy to exchange notes with anyone regarding this flower.

Bookmark   October 16, 2009 at 11:11PM
More Discussions
stars of bethlehem
Anything new on the market that will kill stars of...
flowergirl70ks
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
Panting Bulbs among Lily of the Valley
Can you plant bulbs among Lily of the Valley or ferns?...
edlincoln
Easter lily
An Easter lily that had finished flowering had been...
yugoslava
Will my (most likely) forced tulips ever flower again?
I bought some potted tulips in Feb. '14. I transplanted...
Amy Biondolillo
Sponsored Products
Brushed Nickel Wall Sconce 1-Light Fluorescen
$72.60 | PLFixtures
Oluce | Stones Outdoor Lights
YLiving.com
Quoizel Metro 3-Light Brushed Nickel Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Industrial Iron Cage-like Shade Wall Sconce in Black
ParrotUncle
Constance 19-Inch Glass Table Lamp
Overstock.com