How and when to ship Liatris.

docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)October 2, 2011

I have very prolific liatris or Gayfeather which has reseeded generously. I've offered to dig up some of the tubers/bulbs and send them to a fellow Gardenweb member. Can I dig them up any time? Or should I wait until as late in the season as possible to allow them to go dormant. And if I dig up first year seedlings, should they bloom next season? Mine are all in a large grouping, so I don't know how old they are when they first bloom. I'm thinking there are small blooms the second year. Any information would be appreciated. Especially how to ship them. I'd probably ship in shredded newspaper and a small box.

Martha

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Hi Docmom,

I'm sorry that no one has replied before now. I'm not all that familiar with Liatris, but possibly you will find your answers at the link below.

From the link below:
Planting too deep will result in no plants at all, which I can attest to from raw experience. My first planting of a bag of 30 Liatris corms resulted in about 5 blooming plants because I didn't read the directions and then compounded the problem by laying heavy mulch on top. Bury the corms no more than 2 inches below the soil line and less if you are using mulch.
If you have in mind to share them with a member in a colder zone, I'd think that time is running out, since they are to be planted so shallow. They will need some time to root in so that they don't heave out of the ground with the many freezes and thaws in the colder zones. If mailing to a colder zone, it might be best to wait and send them in early spring.

Hopefully others will have some input.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Liatris

Bookmark   October 16, 2011 at 9:36AM
More Discussions
Tulips - Darwin Hybrid Pride grp
I am thrilled with the colors. Amazed they are blooming...
irisgal_z9
Snowdrops in the green...
Does anyone know of a source for purchasing snowdrops...
scott_madison
spreaders
pushkinia, scillas, aka chionodoxa, muscari. what nice...
daves10z7annv
daves10z7annv
tulips not growing properly
i planted many many tulips for a client in a raised...
bernadettehinds
Sponsored Products
Zaneen | Dau Spot LED Ceiling Light
$393.60 | YLighting
Nottingham Square Bath Caddy
Signature Hardware
Plymouth Weathered Pewter Three-Light Wall Mounted Bath Fixture with White Alaba
$140.00 | Bellacor
DMX512 Universal Pixel Decoder (DMX to SPI)
EnvironmentalLights.com
Full/Queen Wesley Blanket 100" x 100" - LAVENDER
$249.90 | Horchow
Hole in One Vase
| Dot & Bo
Corona 7 Piece Outdoor Patio Sectional Set in White Brown
$1,425.00 | LexMod
Filament Design Lamps Sonoma 62 in. Bronze Incandescent Table Lamp 7.8388306E7
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™