Allium Silver Spring and Summer Drummer

raehelen(USDA 7-8)October 6, 2012

Hi. I just bought some bulbs of Allium Silver Spring and A. Summer Drummer. Both are new to me. Has anyone here grown them yet? I know they are fairly new. Just wondering, as online descriptions in catalogues seem to vary...

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kimpa(z6b PA)

I loved the silver spring I planted last fall. It was pretty and I noticed that it lasted so long after it dried in place with beautiful seed pods. So nice that I bought more this year. And the price has gone down at Van Engelen too. The fragrance was not appealing to me. I buy lots of allium as I have way too many deer. I hope it comes back next year. They are still expensive and I will not buy again if they don't.

I loved the Globemasters but they do not stick around for enough years for me. Probably a drainage issue. I put "Purple Sensation" everywhere in my part sun gardens and they do great. The dried balls stay for months.

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 8:12PM
raehelen(USDA 7-8)

Thanks Kimpa!

How tall did your Silver Spring get? That is one of the variables I found while researching...I saw anywhere from 16-36" tall!

That's funny that you don't have luck with GlobeMasters. They are probably the MOST reliable Allium I have! LOL! And I've lost a lot of Purple Sensation! (But I think maybe the squirrels get those?) So I guess it's different strokes for different folks!

You must be a trail blazer! I'd never heard of Silver Spring until this fall!

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 8:42PM
kimpa(z6b PA)

Sorry just saw your question. Mine grew about 24" tall. I saw them last year in the van engelen catalog and wanted them for the "sugary licorice bon-bon fragrance". The onion smell still prevails and I don't dream of onion candy. But love them otherwise.

Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 8:43AM
More Discussions
why wont my amaryllis bloom
I have had two plants for a about 3 years now and neither...
Tinkerbel
Tulips, coming up, leaf tips now yellow...
So this is the issue...planted a ton of bulbs in pots...
pinkkpearls
Daffodil foliage emerging
I'm not one to panic when spring bulb foliage appears...
agardenstateof_mind
Ideas on Bulbs
Hello everyone, I was thinking of getting a bulb for...
nad0nad
Poll: What new flowers will be coming up next Spring?
So, I went a bit crazy this fall and will have planted...
posierosie_zone7a__
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™