Tuberose - Polianthes tuberosa - do I dig up?

brit5467(7b/8a Coastal VA)October 9, 2009

The full name of my plant is "Hawaiian Double Pearl Tuberose." I ordered the bulbs from QVC (Roberta's Garden, always been happy with their bulbs).

Late Spring, I stupidly planted them behind tall lilies. Relocated them after lilies started coming up. But threw in Marigold seeds in the same area. DidnÂt expect Marigolds to take off like they did, but theyÂve taken over and tubers have been struggling to grow thru them ever since.

The leaves look healthy but I think the base of the plant would do better in direct sun. I understand they don't bloom until late in season so I think they are doing okay but would be better in another spot.

Question  can I relocate them NOW to a better area -- or are they something I need to dig up for the winter? The info that came with them is confusing. Talks of them being planted in pots. But they were "sold" on TV as being able to plant in garden in my zone (7 or 7A or 7B??).

I could email RobertaÂs but wanted your expertise as well.

Thanks,

Bonnie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

I have been growing them here for about 15 years. They are completely gone in the winter but always return stronger and broader in the spring. They do need as much summer heat as they can get and do not do well with root competition. They also like ample water and rich soil. They are native to Mexico where they grow along stream beds. If their needs are not met they may never bloom, which is why so many gardeners give up on them. They can do well in containers, IF their needs are met, which are more demanding than for those planted in the garden. Al

Bookmark   October 10, 2009 at 8:48AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brit5467(7b/8a Coastal VA)

Al - good to know about the root competition, since as I said, they're smothered with marigolds and there's a mum next to them. I'll transplant them to a more open spot and be sure to water lots. Thanks!
Bonnie

Bookmark   October 10, 2009 at 6:30PM
More Discussions
What to do with tulip bulbs
Recent visitors from the Netherlands brought me 30...
chickadee3a
Are my Calla Lilies sprouting too soon?
I live in British Columbia, we are still having very...
bcroselover
Poll: What new flowers will be coming up next Spring?
So, I went a bit crazy this fall and will have planted...
posierosie_zone7a__
Will fertilizer seep through mulch?
This is my first season in a new home in coastal South...
Ralph Thayer
Crocus Bulbs in Fridge
I fell behind in the fall and ordered some crocus bulbs...
bahamutangel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™