Squirrels and Crocus

wvbetsy(z6WV)October 19, 2009

I'm having a terrible time with the squirrels (I think) this fall. They are destroying the fall crocus. I've not had this problem before. At first I thought it was the kittens digging in the beds. Then I found beds dug up where the kittens don't go. It looks like that as soon as the crocus start to bloom, the squirrels are breaking off the buds and digging the corms. I haven't actually seen the squirrels doing this. Any suggestions about how to prevent this from happening?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

Sprinkle blood meal around the Crocus. That should help deter them. Hate those buggers!
Good luck.

Bookmark   October 19, 2009 at 10:34PM
newbie_in_nj(6b E/Central NJ)

I have two young siblings who are always "nose to tail" together.

Have a suspicion they're going to be an "adolescent problem" with bulbs this year.

We forget they reproduce and younger ones appear to be more curious and playful than their elders.

Not funny to the one who dug, planted and waited for those much anticipated blooms, though.

Hope bloodmeal works for you. I have some so may try it even though I spray bulbs and planted area with 'Ropels' every year.

Raining cats and dogs here so bloodmeal would've been less effective than spray.

Good luck from here too...wondering if I'm going to have same problem...LOL.

Bookmark   October 28, 2009 at 4:53AM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

I bought a roll of metal fencing material...hardware cloth? Something like that. It is a small square metal grid and we cut them into pieces that can be laid on the ground over where the new bulbs are planted and weighed down with a stone and that worked last year, so we are doing it again. When the bulbs start showing in the spring, you can store them until the fall.

Bookmark   October 28, 2009 at 4:54PM
tugbrethil

Critter Out works good on ground squirrels here in the desert. : )

Bookmark   October 28, 2009 at 9:07PM
cheleinri(z6 RI)

I've had squirrels behead tulips. Ropel sprayed on the blooms worked very well. I also sprinkle hot pepper on the ground around bulbs when I plant them..I think it burns their noses when they sniff around and this deters them from digging anything up.

Bookmark   November 5, 2009 at 7:10PM
More Discussions
Tulips, coming up, leaf tips now yellow...
So this is the issue...planted a ton of bulbs in pots...
pinkkpearls
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
Gladiolus bulbs, direct sunlight
I would like to try planting some this spring in New...
xyz10
What is this weed bulb?
This is some sort of bulb - all I know about it. It...
jacqueline9CA
Please Help! Can I plant allium bulbs in the spring?
Hello all, I just found this website yesterday and...
midwestplantsfan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™