Any tips for growing Foxtail lily bulb- eremerus

phlowerpower(5)October 6, 2010

I have 6 eremerus "Cleopatra" arriving soon and would love any tips on wehre to situate them in the garden. I saw some growing near me, so I am hoping they are actually hardy to my zone. Says to give them protection from wind, but plenty of sun...any tips on how to achieve that?? I wonder if in front of an east facing wall would be ok. We get very strong spring winds here, so that made me a bit worried.

Any thoughts much appreciated. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

I have one(1)out of ten started about 6 or7 years ago. They all grew the first year, so I am not claiming there was anything wrong with the bulbs. It just was my inexperience with a plant not grown in these parts at all. Wind has not been a problem. The one stem I get every year seems to be strong enough. Although the bulb has grown to where I have more than one crown I still get only one flower stem. It took me several years to realize how far that star fish looking bulb would send roots out from the plant. Now I am very careful to pull the weeds and don't dig them within about three feet from the plant. The roots seem to be only about two inches from the surface. I don't think an easterly exposure will give as much sun as they like. My climate is so much different from yours, I can't comment on that. Al

Bookmark   October 7, 2010 at 8:39AM
More Discussions
what's goin' on
grocery store tulips , and am i blue
daves10z7annv
Hipeastrum papilio x H.Donau
After repeated and many unsuccessfull crossbreeding...
haweha
Will my (most likely) forced tulips ever flower again?
I bought some potted tulips in Feb. '14. I transplanted...
Amy Biondolillo
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
(Cheap) Alternatives to Peat Moss
I need to store some bulbs over the winter and wonder...
dlangend1120
Sponsored Products
Medallion Garden Rug 8'6" x 11'6"
$2,699.00 | Horchow
Jocelyn Chocolate Rug 3'9" x 5'9"
$229.00 | Horchow
Lunar Rug 3'6" x 5'6" - PEWTER
$385.00 | Horchow
Winners Only Koncept 54 in. Desk with Optional Hutch & Chair - Chocolate Multico
$646.00 | Hayneedle
Urn Antique Bronze 48-inch to 86-inch Double Curtain Rod
$49.95 | Bellacor
Moll Champion Kids Adjustable Desk Chair in Magenta - CHMAX-M
$860.00 | Hayneedle
Tech Lighting | Staccato Chandelier
YLighting
Eurofase Pendant Lights Zazu Collection 20-Light Chrome and Black Pendant
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™