Any tips for growing Foxtail lily bulb- eremerus

phlowerpower(5)October 6, 2010

I have 6 eremerus "Cleopatra" arriving soon and would love any tips on wehre to situate them in the garden. I saw some growing near me, so I am hoping they are actually hardy to my zone. Says to give them protection from wind, but plenty of sun...any tips on how to achieve that?? I wonder if in front of an east facing wall would be ok. We get very strong spring winds here, so that made me a bit worried.

Any thoughts much appreciated. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

I have one(1)out of ten started about 6 or7 years ago. They all grew the first year, so I am not claiming there was anything wrong with the bulbs. It just was my inexperience with a plant not grown in these parts at all. Wind has not been a problem. The one stem I get every year seems to be strong enough. Although the bulb has grown to where I have more than one crown I still get only one flower stem. It took me several years to realize how far that star fish looking bulb would send roots out from the plant. Now I am very careful to pull the weeds and don't dig them within about three feet from the plant. The roots seem to be only about two inches from the surface. I don't think an easterly exposure will give as much sun as they like. My climate is so much different from yours, I can't comment on that. Al

Bookmark   October 7, 2010 at 8:39AM
More Discussions
Hipeastrum papilio x H.Donau
After repeated and many unsuccessfull crossbreeding...
haweha
narcissus bulbs on clearance
Just wanted to share that I bought potted narcissus...
southerngardening24
When should you see buds within tulip foliage?
So, I have some tulip foliage sprouting in the garden....
ffreidl z5a
Is this a scilla?
I bought chionodoxa bulbs a few years back and this...
vaflowernut
spreaders
pushkinia, scillas, aka chionodoxa, muscari. what nice...
daves10z7annv
Sponsored Products
Fuchsia & Gray Dora Rug
$29.99 | zulily
Lil Big Wonder Accent Lamp by Tech Lighting
$74.40 | Lumens
Ribbons Entertainment Cabinet
$4,929.00 | Horchow
Wellington Bathroom Faucet
Signature Hardware
Delia Chevron Flatweave Rug 5' x 8' - RED
$499.00 | Horchow