Any tips for growing Foxtail lily bulb- eremerus

phlowerpower(5)October 6, 2010

I have 6 eremerus "Cleopatra" arriving soon and would love any tips on wehre to situate them in the garden. I saw some growing near me, so I am hoping they are actually hardy to my zone. Says to give them protection from wind, but plenty of sun...any tips on how to achieve that?? I wonder if in front of an east facing wall would be ok. We get very strong spring winds here, so that made me a bit worried.

Any thoughts much appreciated. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

I have one(1)out of ten started about 6 or7 years ago. They all grew the first year, so I am not claiming there was anything wrong with the bulbs. It just was my inexperience with a plant not grown in these parts at all. Wind has not been a problem. The one stem I get every year seems to be strong enough. Although the bulb has grown to where I have more than one crown I still get only one flower stem. It took me several years to realize how far that star fish looking bulb would send roots out from the plant. Now I am very careful to pull the weeds and don't dig them within about three feet from the plant. The roots seem to be only about two inches from the surface. I don't think an easterly exposure will give as much sun as they like. My climate is so much different from yours, I can't comment on that. Al

Bookmark   October 7, 2010 at 8:39AM
More Discussions
what to do now, amaryllis?
My amaryllis had 5 large blooms, than sent up another stock...
penroy
Gloriosa lily in zone 7b
Does anyone have experience growing gloriosa lily (gloriosa...
southerngardening24
Poll: What new flowers will be coming up next Spring?
So, I went a bit crazy this fall and will have planted...
posierosie_zone7a__
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
Daffodil foliage emerging
I'm not one to panic when spring bulb foliage appears...
agardenstateof_mind
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™