Any tips for growing Foxtail lily bulb- eremerus

phlowerpower(5)October 6, 2010

I have 6 eremerus "Cleopatra" arriving soon and would love any tips on wehre to situate them in the garden. I saw some growing near me, so I am hoping they are actually hardy to my zone. Says to give them protection from wind, but plenty of sun...any tips on how to achieve that?? I wonder if in front of an east facing wall would be ok. We get very strong spring winds here, so that made me a bit worried.

Any thoughts much appreciated. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

I have one(1)out of ten started about 6 or7 years ago. They all grew the first year, so I am not claiming there was anything wrong with the bulbs. It just was my inexperience with a plant not grown in these parts at all. Wind has not been a problem. The one stem I get every year seems to be strong enough. Although the bulb has grown to where I have more than one crown I still get only one flower stem. It took me several years to realize how far that star fish looking bulb would send roots out from the plant. Now I am very careful to pull the weeds and don't dig them within about three feet from the plant. The roots seem to be only about two inches from the surface. I don't think an easterly exposure will give as much sun as they like. My climate is so much different from yours, I can't comment on that. Al

Bookmark   October 7, 2010 at 8:39AM
More Discussions
40% bulb sale on Van Engelen
in case anyone is interested.
KarenPA_6b
Snowdrops in the green...
Does anyone know of a source for purchasing snowdrops...
scott_madison
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
Poll: What new flowers will be coming up next Spring?
So, I went a bit crazy this fall and will have planted...
posierosie_zone7a__
Reblooming tulips
I don't have good luck with tulips the second year...
els60
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™