Can force same hyacinths next spring?

linnea56(z5 IL)October 18, 2010

I forced some Lady Derby hyacinths this spring, in potting soil. They were potted last fall and kept in the cold garage until March, when they sprouted and were brought inside. I put the pots outside in the garden after blooming where the foliage grew, matured, and died back, seemingly in a normal way. Can I force these same bulbs next year?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Hi Linnea!

I'm 'guessing' that you can force them just fine but that just like if left in the ground, they will not be big and robust like this past spring with their first bloom for you.

Remember this thread...Hyacinths and their flowerings.

I'm guessing that when you remove the bulbs from the pot, that you will probably find bulblets that have grown off of the sides, which would hinder them from being big, robust blooms next spring, even if you remove them the bulblets before repotting this fall.

Please let us know what they look like when you get them out of the pots.

Sue

Bookmark   October 19, 2010 at 4:34AM
denninmi(8a)

Usually, forcing bulbs in the house weakens them a lot. They are ok to plant in the garden, where they will recover in a few years. But, I think you could be really disappointed in the results. They may not bloom at all, or they may just have tiny flower stalks with only a few blooms on each stalk -- nothing like what you had last year in terms of size and quality of the display.

Try it if you want and see, you won't be out anything but time and effort. But personally, I would just leave them outside and buy fresh bulbs for forcing.

Bookmark   October 23, 2010 at 7:12PM
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

The general rule for winter bulb forcing is that bulbs should only be forced once and then put into the garden to continue growing and blooming there. Buy new, large ones to force each fall. For forcing, buy the plumpest, largest bulbs you can find. If forcing tulips, look for early blooming, shorter varieties. The stems will naturally elongate a bit when forced indoors. The same for narcissus, although I don't think it is as important to select early varieties, since all narcissus are quite early.

Bookmark   October 24, 2010 at 11:53AM
More Discussions
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
Please Help! Can I plant allium bulbs in the spring?
Hello all, I just found this website yesterday and...
midwestplantsfan
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
what to do now, amaryllis?
My amaryllis had 5 large blooms, than sent up another stock...
penroy
What is this weed bulb?
This is some sort of bulb - all I know about it. It...
jacqueline9CA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™