Best tomato for a container ?

Iris HendryMarch 6, 2010

Hi everyone ! I need some advice ! I am going to start a tomato plant from seed for a friend of mine who will keep it in a container on her deck so I would like to ask your opinion on which varieties of tomatoes do you think are best for a container ? Thanks !

~Iris

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
briergardener_gw

I liked Taxi (they are yellow), determ.

Bookmark   March 6, 2010 at 9:02PM
colokid(5)

New big dwarf did good for me. 2 to 3 foot tall and the rugose leaves made a very nice plant to look at.

Bookmark   March 6, 2010 at 9:39PM
sprtsguy76(Santa Clara Ca. 9b)

Whats the size of the container?

Bookmark   March 6, 2010 at 9:40PM
colokid(5)

Oh, OH, I just saw "on her desk" ????

Bookmark   March 6, 2010 at 9:46PM
Iris Hendry

I don't think she has the container yet, I told her to get the biggest container she can find ... at least a 5 gallon size, the bigger the better ... I probably have at least 50 different varieties of tomato seeds in my seed stash but so far none of the varieties mentioned so far ... oh boy ...

~Iris

Bookmark   March 7, 2010 at 7:45AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Very good!
I grow a cherry tomat-o on my deck every summer. Last summer, it was Sweet 100 and Sungold.
I don't recommend growing two plants in one container, however. This year, back to one plant per pot.
I think I'm using a 15 gallon container, set in a durable, black plastic concrete-mixing tray.

I prefer a low acid tomato, personally.

Josh

Bookmark   March 7, 2010 at 11:54AM
tn_veggie_gardner(7)

I just bought an 18 gallon Rubermaid tote thing. I want to put a few of my Sungold maters in it. Y'all think 3 is too many or can I maybe even put 4 in it?

Bookmark   March 7, 2010 at 1:23PM
wordwiz

Iris,

Why not ask what you should buy your friend for lunch? It would give about as much info as your question (no, I am not being sarcastic, just realistic). How big is her desk? How much space does she want to donate to the plant? What kind of light will it get and for how many hours a day?

Mike

Bookmark   March 7, 2010 at 11:00PM
dickiefickle(5B Dousman,Wi.)

wordwiz

What does desk have to do with it ? OP said deck

Bookmark   March 11, 2010 at 2:54AM
woodyguthriefan(6a)

I planted Containers Choice Red from Livingston Seed Co. this winter and grew them under fluorescent lights in containers. The tomatoes are very tasty and the plants grow well in a 5 gallon pot. The mature fruits are about as big as a baseball and bright red. The plants have very thick stalks and thick stems and they grow to about 24" tall. The tomatoes are very good flavored. Well worth the effort whereas the Tiny Tim tomatoes were horrible tasting and not worth the effort in my opinion.

Bookmark   March 13, 2010 at 1:19AM
Iris Hendry

My gf told me she would really like a red beefsteak type of heirloom tomato ... so is this doable in a container ? She is thinking about having a HUGE wooden planter box built on her deck ... Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and feedback so far ;-) I appreciate it .

~Iris

Bookmark   March 13, 2010 at 7:55PM
enestvmel(5b)

I would think as long as it's a big enough planter you can do pretty much anything as long as it's in a sunny enough spot. Needs lots of sun.

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 9:32PM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

As long as she gets plenty of sun, any non-determinate of her choice will do well. Al

Bookmark   April 17, 2010 at 9:43AM
ykerzner(9 TX)

Try 'Patio' tomato - it grows well in a five-gallon container. For good taste and growth, try 'Terrific'.

Bookmark   April 18, 2010 at 9:26PM
marcos_2010

This is my second year with Tomatoes in 15 gal pots. I live in Hemet which is really hot in the summer. But the best beefsteak varieties for me have been Brandywine OTV and Beefsteak. These are indeterminate. I have had good success with Siletz and Manitoba of the determinant varieties.

Bookmark   April 18, 2010 at 10:23PM
mary1521

Last year I fell for the upside down tomato grower. I was not successful. This year I have fallen for The Earthbox. I'm going to use miracle grow potting mix. A friend has told me to add lime to the soil so I won't have end blossom rot. In the past in addition to blossom rot, last year some of my tomatoes turned very hard and developed a disease somewhat in the in the middle of the tomato. Please help!

Bookmark   April 22, 2010 at 10:50AM
obrionusa(5)

Anyone try celebrity in a container? I bought some for my garden and was going to put one in a container for my girlfriend.

Bookmark   April 26, 2010 at 12:51PM
More Discussions
glowing pots
Not sure if this is the right place for this but I...
mystmaiden
Culinary Herbs?
I need to buy some culinary herbs. Where is the best...
sharbear50
CRF burn if 5-1-1 sits a while?
I have some 5-1-1 that was fully made, including CRF...
hairmetal4ever
anything you wanted to talk about vii - prolly mostly ot
I guess I didn't realize the last thread was about...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Sponsored Products
Newport Set of Two Outdoor Chaise Outdoor Lounge Chairs, Patio Furniture
$799.00 | FRONTGATE
Hopson Leather L-Sectional (4 piece) - Brighton Black Black
Joybird Furniture
Kristall Bronze One-Light Incandescent 120v Mini Stem Pendant with Glitter Glass
$324.00 | Bellacor
LZF | Romanica Small Wall Light
$780.00 | YLighting
Tall Bedroom Table Lamps Clear Crystal Base with Fabric Shade
ParrotUncle
Best Quality Lighting Path & Landscape Lights LV29VRD Landscape Lighting Path
$80.74 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™