Saving calla lily tubers

linnea56(z5 IL)October 13, 2009

IÂm growing these for the first time, in pots. I read here (somewhere) that they get bigger and better every year. These (from HD) were a bit of a disappointment: hardly any flowers, but very lush shiny leaves. I planted maybe 3 tubers per large pot of mixed annuals, and only had maybe 1 flower per pot. Maybe the next year they will be better for having grown bigger. They were both pink and purple varieties, if that makes a difference. Are the white ones more floriferous?

IÂd like to save these and give them a second try. We had a light frost and the leaves are not mushy, but laying down and flopping over in the pots. Would this be the right time to dig them up?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mori1(5b/6a)

I'm started my calla lilies in pots this year but only one bloom still trying to figure out what I need to do to improve that. However, I can tell you that yes the bulbs will get bigger. I had a couple that I had to destroy the plastic pots to get them out. Next year will use bigger pots.

Bookmark   October 14, 2009 at 5:00AM
umpqua

I've had my callas for about 7 years now and they have multiplied well. We had a very rainy summer and my white ones did well this year, the others not so much. I have pink and purple as well and they usually all put on a great show.

Dig them up now! I dig mine up as soon as they're done blooming each year. Let them dry out, cut off the foliage and store them in a box in soil in the basement. They've come back year after year through a few different houses and gardens.

Bookmark   October 14, 2009 at 6:18PM
linnea56(z5 IL)

Thanks! Store in dry soil so they don't sprout?

Bookmark   October 14, 2009 at 9:29PM
umpqua

I always use dry soil. And I try to lay them out in the sun for a couple of days to really dry them out before storing. Good luck, they really do make beautiful flowers!

Bookmark   October 15, 2009 at 11:29AM
bobs2(z7/8)

I used to grow calla lilies in a large, self-watering tub. At the end of the season, I would let the tub dry out, then I would store it in a dark, dry, cool area. I did not water over the winter. My only problem was remembering to drag the tub out in the spring. A few time, I was late and the tubers sprouted in the dark. The shoots were white, but they greened up once I moved the tub outside into the light.

I lived in south-east Pennsylvania at the time, and I had a few callas that self seeded near the patio; those plants over wintered well for several years.

Bookmark   October 18, 2009 at 10:04PM
More Discussions
identify tulips
I have 2 tulips that I need help identifying. The little...
jessica_h
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
Where does everyone order bulbs from?
I was just wondering what websites everyone uses to...
rph1234
Daffodil foliage emerging
I'm not one to panic when spring bulb foliage appears...
agardenstateof_mind
Please identify?
My son has these growing in his front lawn. I don't...
gardenbug
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™