Non-blooming Scilla peruviana.

tugbrethilNovember 17, 2009

Last winter I inherited a pot full of scrawny Scilla peruviana bulbs. Because they were already in full foliage, I decided not to transplant them then, but I fed them and kept them in full sun until they went dormant for the summer. They never bloomed this spring, but the foliage became very lush, and the bulbs grew to 15+ cm in circumference. On the other hand, the bulbs were so numerous and crowded they were fit to bust the pot, and flowing over the top!

Late this summer, I dug them out and divided them. They came apart into groups of 4-5 bulbs, held together with thick, woody rhizomes. I planted each group 2 inches deep in a 10 in. pot. They are up for about a month now, and healthy as hogs.

My main questions are: what else can I do to encourage bloom this year, and about when should I expect that bloom?

Thanks for the advice,

Kevin : )

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

If I recall correctly my old S.peruviana took 2-3 years to bloom in the ground.

As to fertilizer, only low nitrogen. Sunset says May bloom.

The only other thing I can think of is to allow the foliage to yellow before removing. It is unsightly during this time but don't remove it too early.

Bookmark   November 20, 2009 at 10:08PM
tugbrethil

2-3 years, huh? Grumph! Oh well, good things come to those who wait. I wonder how those pots of blooming scilla in the nursery were grown?

I'll switch to a rose food or such-like this year, and see how it does. I was assuming the Sunset date was for the coast.

I also routinely allow the foliage on my bulbs to dry completely before removing, having learned that the hard way 30 years ago! Last year it was July before I took off the leaves.

Thanks, iris gal!

Bookmark   November 21, 2009 at 5:44PM
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

If you have room in the garden you could plant them out. They are definitely hardy in zone 9.

According to one source, each bulb needs a year's rest after flowering.

Fully agree about the low nitrogen feeding. And well-drained soil. Morning sun. Patience...;-)

Bookmark   November 23, 2009 at 4:13AM
tugbrethil

Thanks again, iris gal! : ])

Right now, I'm still prowling around, looking for a spot with morning sun and not too much water in the summer for one of the pots. The rest of them are going to be inflicted on my friends and neighbors as soon as they bloom--they're not likely to appreciate them otherwise! They already view me like the guy who has a big lemon tree, or 200 sq. ft. of zucchini plants in his back yard: "Oh, no! He's carrying a bag again!"

I may eventually wind up on the exchanges with some of my stuff, as soon as I can figure out this on-line security hooraw.

Bookmark   November 23, 2009 at 9:59AM
tugbrethil

Sorry, vetivert8!! I don't know why I confused your reply with iris gal! Strictly an early-morning-fuzzy-brain type of mistake. I'll have to remember to double check in the future.

Every day in every way, I'm getting better and better! [twitch, twitch]
Kevin : ]

Bookmark   November 29, 2009 at 1:15AM
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

I am soooo wounded! ;-))))))) (lol)

Bookmark   December 1, 2009 at 2:54AM
More Discussions
Any small tulips which voles & squirrels won't eat?
I would love to plant some small tulips, in the 4 to...
Eimer
What is this weed bulb?
This is some sort of bulb - all I know about it. It...
jacqueline9CA
40% bulb sale on Van Engelen
in case anyone is interested.
KarenPA_6b
why wont my amaryllis bloom
I have had two plants for a about 3 years now and neither...
Tinkerbel
identify tulips
I have 2 tulips that I need help identifying. The little...
jessica_h
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™