Was this a bad idea?

scully931(6)November 5, 2009

Hi,

Last year, many of my tulips failed to come up. I was thinking maybe the bulbs were dug up by critters. This year, after placing the new bulbs in the ground, I put down chicken wire, then covered the whole thing with dirt.

But, I got to wondering if my bulbs will find a way up through the chicken wire??? Should I pull it out? Thank you for any advice. :-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

I think it will be fine.

Sue

Bookmark   November 5, 2009 at 2:03AM
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

I usually remove chicken wire when the ground has settled or after deep frost. That way things won't get all tangled up.

Bookmark   November 5, 2009 at 9:17PM
rickardo(5 Denver suburb)

I do that with all my beds. As the plants come up I cut the opening larger. The squirrels don't seem to uproot my plants on purpose but rather bury their peanuts where there's soft ground ( which I softened for my plants)

Bookmark   November 6, 2009 at 12:44PM
elleni(4a)

I do this, but just a bit of mulch or leaves over the wire. Not enough to bury it. I remove it in the Spring when the bulbs start to pop up.

Bookmark   November 6, 2009 at 4:37PM
carla1(5)

I was at the hardware store recently asking about the same thing. The person who worked there said squirrels and chipmunks (if they're desperate enough), will bypass the wire and burrow at an angle under the ground to get tulip bulbs. Therefore, I ended up planting my tulip bulbs in pots in potting soil and putting wire cages around them and sealing the top. A neighbor said that would be the only way for me to grow tulips successfully. Daffodils, on the other hand, are squirrel-resistant.

Bookmark   November 9, 2009 at 11:24PM
linnea56(z5 IL)

I have had really good luck with the hardware cloth. This is, however, only the second year. Following instructions I found here in Â07, I bought the green-plastic coated wire type, so it can be reused next year. (I notice that there is now green PLASTIC hardware cloth: donÂt buy that by mistake. They could chew through that easily). I laid out clusters of bulbs, then cut it oversize by a couple of inches to make it harder to tunnel sideways. I pinned it down with landscape staples. Then just scattered a little mulch on top so it would look better to me. There is no need to bury it in dirt. Last spring it was very easy to pull it up as soon as I saw sprouts. Since they were the first, my crocuses in the warmer spots made buds before I noticed. For those I waited until they were done blooming.

Last year I saw some effort made by the tree rats to dig sideways, but apparently they donÂt like to do that, and they did not penetrate far enough sideways. Or maybe the sharp edges of the hardware cloth scratched them (goody). This year I have seen no signs of digging at all, and I have been out there checking daily. Maybe there is still enough other stuff for them to eat, or maybe they recognized the hardware cloth and did not bother

Bookmark   November 10, 2009 at 5:25PM
More Discussions
Please Help! Can I plant allium bulbs in the spring?
Hello all, I just found this website yesterday and...
midwestplantsfan
Are my Calla Lilies sprouting too soon?
I live in British Columbia, we are still having very...
bcroselover
40% bulb sale on Van Engelen
in case anyone is interested.
KarenPA_6b
Poll: What new flowers will be coming up next Spring?
So, I went a bit crazy this fall and will have planted...
posierosie_zone7a__
Unsure what to do with cyclamen
There are a lot of cyclamen posts but none seem to...
cosuperfly
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™