Earthbox soil type potting mix for best growth of vegetables

pectinMarch 24, 2011

I have a few choices to make. Use ProMix BX or FarFard Organic or Happy Frog� Potting Soil or Happy Frog Ocean soil. Prices are not much different. In the Promix I will probably have to add vermuculite and possibly some perlite + Dolomite lime and 10-10-10 fertilizers. They will be used in Earthboxes. Some tomatoes, okra, eggplant and other vegetables. For PromixBS I have to add vermuculite, perlite, dolotmite and fertilizier.. but the others I might not have to do so. Do I need to add vermuculite, perlite into the Happy Frog and Farfard potting soil as well. I was told you did not have to. Please advise. The fertilizer and soil are all according to Earthbox recommened media from their site. Why follow? As in the past I had done things like adding just regular topsoil... it did not do so well... got a lot of BSR on tomatoes but okra did well.. Thanks

which is then the best?

ProMix BX or FarFard Organic or Happy Frog� Potting Soil or Happy Frog Ocean soil

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

I think they'll all stay more than moist enough without the addition of vermiculite.

But I don't have any recommendation otherwise.

Josh

Bookmark   March 24, 2011 at 8:21PM
tommyr_gw

I prefer Pro-mix but it's a preference thing. Something with good drainage and aeration.

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 12:17PM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

I'd choose Promix, and I wouldn't add anything to it but fertilizer. The other mixes could cause problems with moisture retention in an Earth Box because of the organic additions. And they are unreliable nutrient sources in any container, so you'd still need to fertilize.

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 9:18PM
More Discussions
Al and others..Foliage Pro fertilizer?
I just wanted to get an update on what you think of...
meyermike_1micha
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Help with 1:1:1 - weight and sourcing in the UK
I've just clicked that weight is going to be an issue...
containergardenerbeginner
Zuchinni/Courgette, lots of leaf growth, but not many fruit
Hi, My courgette plant is doing great in terms of leaf...
bopwinter
Type of kale... Also, shiny metallic flakes?
Hey, my friend gave me some kale seeds from her plants...
Josie Murray
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™