Lycoris aurea info wanted

iris_gal(z9 CA)November 27, 2013

I have 2 bulbs of Lycoris aurea from Home Depot's sale! Never have they discounted their bulbs by 50% this early!

http://www.edensblooms.com/product/L3 says to plant in shade to semi-shade.

I don't think this is right. Anyone growing this yellow Lycoris? The bulbs are small - size of a Dutch iris. One site says 2 inches of soil above the bulb, another says let the neck protrude. Help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

My L aurea has the neck of the bulb perhaps 2 inches below soil surface. I have to worry about frost...but I don't think you do. I wouldn't expect them to bloom for a few years.
Plant in sun.

Bookmark   November 27, 2013 at 8:53AM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Thanks Barron, Full sun it is.

It would be great to have the neck protruding. Wouldn't accidently dig into them. Years ago planted the hot pink Lycoris deeper as advised. Maybe that was for cold winter zones? They did take a few years to bloom.

Bookmark   November 27, 2013 at 7:55PM
bossyvossy

sounds like the sale bulbs were very young bulbs, going by the size you describe. nothing wrong with that, even that young, they should be putting foliage for you now but may take 1-3 yrs to bloom.

Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 2:43PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

I'm patient. And just figured out the pink 'lycoris' I have are really nerine. Patient but sometimes obtuse.

Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 1:13AM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

I have yellow lycoris (commonly called spider lilies). They come up and bloom later in fall than the red spider lilies. The yellow blooms open about the time the reds' foliage emerges. The foliage follows the blooms, of course, and they stand all fall and winter, going dormant in late spring. My bulbs are planted with the entire bulb underground. I don't think you need to worry over much. Lycoris are so adaptable that they will pull themselves down to the proper depth, even in clay soil.

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 7:13PM
More Discussions
tulips - when to stop watering? how to cut?
I have two questions regarding tulips: 1. when the...
anna_beth
40% bulb sale on Van Engelen
in case anyone is interested.
KarenPA_6b
Please identify?
My son has these growing in his front lawn. I don't...
gardenbug
Any small tulips which voles & squirrels won't eat?
I would love to plant some small tulips, in the 4 to...
Eimer
Experience with Ordering from Brecks or Royal Dutch Catalogs??
Has anyone ordered spring flowering bulbs from either...
bobk_stl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™