Should I be concern ?

mori1(5b/6a)November 16, 2009

Its raining again. As I was getting my mail, I noticed the my daffodil have started to sprout. Should I be concern?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

No. It often occurs that many spring bulbs emerge late in the fall or earlier than normal in the spring. They will be fine. I noticed the other day that the foliage from a division 2, (I think it was) large cup daff had started to emerge. The worst thing that could happen is that the tips of the foliage might be browned by the cold winter temps.

From now until spring at the normal emergence time for different bulbs, there will be posts asking about foliage that seems to have emerged much too early. In the end, the flower blooms will for the most part be just fine.

I noticed the foliage is all up on the muscari (grape hyacinths) as well as the Division 10 daffodils (Bulbocodium Hybrids, ie "hoop petticoat" form ).

There will be lots of posts about members concerned that their tulips are up too early or that they are budded and freezing temps are predicted. I have found that cold temps are not detrimental to either buds or blooms of spring blooming flowers. At worst, daffodils will be bent over some if there has been a substantial snow fall while they were in bud or bloom.

tmi?
Sue

Bookmark   November 16, 2009 at 6:15AM
linnea56(z5 IL)

Some of mine are showing too. It is an early large cup variety. I'm also zone 5.

Bookmark   November 16, 2009 at 4:11PM
mori1(5b/6a)

Thanks guys. I'm not a big daffodil fan but started growing them a couple of years ago when I saw the white ones. I'm of a tulips and crocuses person, so I know what to expect from them.

Bookmark   November 16, 2009 at 4:58PM
melaroma(6)

Oh thank you, thank you for asking that question. I just walked outside and there's one of my daffodils peeking at me and I got sad to think that I wouldn't have any flowers from that bulb in spring. I cannot wait until Spring.

Bookmark   November 20, 2009 at 2:15PM
kentstar(5b, NE Ohio)

Many of my jonquilles are sprouting out now, about 2 inches tall through the mulch. I think they'll be fine though. Maybe I'll need to divide them next year, although they were just planted last year (2008).

Bookmark   November 22, 2009 at 7:58PM
More Discussions
what's goin' on
grocery store tulips , and am i blue
daves10z7annv
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
narcissus bulbs on clearance
Just wanted to share that I bought potted narcissus...
southerngardening24
Sponsored Products
System 1-2-3 Lounge Chair
Design Within Reach
Possini Euro Design 10" High Cutout Wall Sconce
Euro Style Lighting
Hampton Bay Ceiling Fans Roanoke 48 in. Indoor/Outdoor White Ceiling Fan
$89.99 | Home Depot
Almost Autumn Persuasive Autumn Wood Silver 18-Light Chandelier
Bellacor
Ariel Platinum 'Adonis' One-piece Toilet
Overstock.com
New Super Kazak Hand Knotted Wool 3' X 5' Design All-Over Red Veg Dyed Rug H5272
BH Sun Inc
Northgate Floor Lamp Electric Outdoor Heater - EWUR730SP
$229.00 | Hayneedle
Inspirations Leaf Cup Pull
Signature Hardware
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™