Amarygia hybrids have produced tiny bulbs

susi_so_calif(USDA10/Sunset24)November 29, 2011

My Amarygia hybrids (purchased a few years ago from the Univ. Calif. Riverside Arboretum plant sale) have produced about 50 tiny bulbs the size of large pearls. I found one site that says to put them on top of seed starting mix with a lot of pumice in it, and to keep the medium damp. I did this on 11/16 and a number of the bulbs are now producing small green roots (?). Now what???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pizzuti(5A)

I've never grown Amarygia but I've grown Hippeastrums... when the seeds begin sprouting, I just keep them very moist and move them into light. They grow in their start medium for a few months; you can really keep them in there indefinitely or until they are very rootbound.

To keep them especially moist I put saran wrap about 2 inches above the soil; the water condenses and keeps the soil surface constantly wet. As far as Amarygia goes, I don't know it's level of drought tolerance or it's tolerance of lots of moisture. But if they already sprouted, I'd just move them into light and make sure the tender plants don't get dry.

I hope this answer is sufficient until you can get a better one from someone with more knowledge.

Bookmark   December 5, 2011 at 11:35PM
More Discussions
Easter lily
An Easter lily that had finished flowering had been...
yugoslava
Planting Dahlias, Daylilies & Peonies bulbs in Dallas now
Hi All, I live in Dallas, TX. Local Costco has a sale...
fruits_veggies
Phaedranassa dubia
Hi all, I bought this bulb couple of months ago. It...
radhavall
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
How to plant Crinums with leaves
Hey all, Just received some mail order crinums which...
jscaldwell
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™