Which is better? Containers/grow bags/self-watering containers!

aaaaaaaa(6)March 16, 2014

Hi,
I am confused to which of these is better for container gardening? Regular containers/pots or Grow bags or self-watering containers?
I have been growing in containers/pots and self-watering containers for quite some years now and would like to know if grow bags is any different/better than these, in terms of healthy root system, yield etc.
I did search in this forum, however did not find suitable query.
Appreciate reasonable response.
Thank you in advance.
Anna

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

I don't think the kind of container you use matters as much as matching the container size, potting mix and location of the container to your environment. I've used all three kinds. My favorites are 20 to 25 gallon fabric containers using 5-1-1 mix and sitting in contact with bare earth. If you don't put them in contact with the ground so they wick to the earth, you lose a lot of the benefits. Search the phrase "site: gardenweb.com smart pots" on Google to find many of the previous discussions of grow bags.

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 10:12AM
hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

Ohiofem, don't the fabric containers dry out ridiculously fast with a 5/1/1 and ground contact?

I'm WILLING to water a lot, but I have a job, wife, kids, and a life, I can't sit in the yard holding a hose all summer!

I guess I get nervous, since even a couple of the plants I had in MG Moisture Control mix last summer were wilting in a day and a half in the hot sun.

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 9:43AM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

Hairmetal: I think we talked about your problem with those plants before. I don't know why you had a problem with them. But, as I said before, I don't normally have to water any of my plants in 5-1-1 more than once every other day. This goes for six-foot tall tomatoes in 25-gallon smart pots resting on the ground as well as flowering annuals in 16-inch hanging baskets lined with coco fiber. If it rains at least an inch, they can go three or four days without more water. If you make the 5-1-1 properly and you use a container that is big enough for the root system, you will not have a problem. 5-1-1 holds a lot of water. The ground doesn't suck it all out of the pot.

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 11:27AM
More Discussions
"tapla" root pruning question
Hi Al, I bought another Brush Cherry, and wanted your...
halocline
Culinary Herbs?
I need to buy some culinary herbs. Where is the best...
sharbear50
Summer Squash
Last spring/summer, I planted a summer squash that...
meawea
Miniature rose plant..
Got this from nursery yesterday .. But something is...
amriteanukul112
Pop Quiz TIme: What plants are in this container?
Looks like the deep purple ones are petunias. But what...
Lisa Richter
Sponsored Products
Home Styles Hoisin Hall Tree Storage Bench - 5650-49
$319.98 | Hayneedle
Home Dynamix 3206 Madlena Area Rug - Red-Ivory - 3206-215-MADLENA 4
$44.99 | Hayneedle
Korver Leather Corner Sectional (2 piece) - Brighton Lemon Grass Yellow
Joybird Furniture
Divi Satin Nickel Halogen Mini Pendant with Flat Canopy and Pink Dicro Glass
$306.00 | Bellacor
Skyline 22 x 22 Pillow
$22.95 | Bellacor