Vinca in containers

karen_tennessee(7a)March 22, 2011

I am considering potting Vinca as I did last year. They eventually got unrully and messy looking as summer progressed. I have never given my plants a "haircut" before, but think that's what I need to learn about. Do I just bearly trim of a little at a time when they start to need help? How often can I trim back? And I am assuming from what I've read that they should pop back up quickly. Thank you in advance for your help.

Karen.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Hi, Karen. I prune potted plants & mixed plantings to bend them to my will. I actually wear a pair of heavy duty bonsai scissors and a small pair of shears originally intended as a tool for defoliating bonsai trees but that I've adapted for use as the ultimate deadheading tool around my neck.

Great for deadheading!

As your vinca stretch out, you can shear them back all at once, or take the time to do it selectively so you still have some blooming all the time. I'm always pruning Coleus, snapdragon, petunias, and dozens of other plants in containers to keep them tidy.

I think that a very high % of people are frightened of pruning because they don't understand how the plant will react, and fear killing it. Most plants, especially when they are young, can take a frightful amount of indignity heaped upon them by a pair of pruning blades. I would urge you to go ahead and prune, but pay attention to how the plant reacts, not because I'm urging caution, but because I want you to become familiar with how dependable plant's reaction to pruning is.

If you want, I can start a thread about pruning, and we can all explore together?

Al

Bookmark   March 22, 2011 at 9:28PM
jojosplants(9/ Tucson, Az.)

I've pruned Vinca as they get messy, with no problems. They are one of my son's favorite, so we've always done selective pruning so he can have a continual bloom.

I treat most of my plants as Al does. I"m out every morning coffee in hand , deadheading and tidying up. Especially my herbs, coleus and petunias. My petunia's have always reacted very well to a hard cut back, and boy do they bloom like crazy after! So far the snapdragons have behaved. ;-)

JoJo

Bookmark   March 22, 2011 at 11:07PM
kernul1

+1 for new Al pruning thread.

Bookmark   March 23, 2011 at 1:11AM
jojosplants(9/ Tucson, Az.)

+ 2
:-)

JoJo

Bookmark   March 23, 2011 at 2:02AM
opal52(z7b GA)

+3 for Al's pruning thread.

Bookmark   March 23, 2011 at 8:47AM
karen_tennessee(7a)

Yes, Al I think a pruning log would be beneficial to many.
Thanks for your information and thanks for responding. Have a great day.
Karen

Bookmark   March 23, 2011 at 12:13PM
mombay(6)

How many Cora Vinca plants for a 12 inch pot or basket. What would be the spacing for a border? I'm trying to plan my seed order. Thanks in advance for your answer.

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 8:35AM
More Discussions
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
Cor-ten planters safe for growing edibles?
I'd like to grow some edibles but the best sun is in...
midwestgal67
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings I put in...
George Spector
Why can't I grow vigna caracalla? Can you?
Hi Everyone I'm in z11 and took a while to get my hands...
rexedwardfairy
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™