Beginner (VERY Beginner)

catherinej_growerMarch 13, 2012

Hello! I'm trying to find some resources to start my container garden this year, but a lot of the threads here are over my head. I live outside of Vegas, I'd like to start from seed, I want to grow vegetables mostly and I want to be able to grow enough to eat. In basic terms I'm curious about soil, containers and feeding. The plants I'd really like to pursue are carrots, sweet potatoes, cucumbers and zucchini. Is there a site anyone can suggest for beginners, or books, magazines or a nursery in the Vegas area? Thank you for your time!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ABQ_Bob(USDA 5a/SS 2A)

I'm new to Vegas (not quite a year here), and to container gardening (in an apt. now instead of the house I had back in NM) but I do frequent two nurseries that are fairly convenient to my location - and so far, so good. They are Star Nursery on West Charleston and Cimaron Rd, and Plant World, also on West Charleston but a little closer in towards town between Jones Blvd and Decatur.

You'll probably want to get seeds started ASAP - we're going to start warming up quickly here in the Mojave.

Bookmark   March 14, 2012 at 6:28PM
More Discussions
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Any issues planting in copper pots?
I have some old copper containers I want to use for...
garden_dogs
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Container gardening
My clivia, 20-30 yr old lives in a pot, maybe 15 gal....
josephene_gw
My New Raised Container Garden - Thanks for all the Help
This is really more of a conversational post. No real...
Cliff Pruitt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™