HELP!! Narcissus Bulbs

janes_gardenNovember 27, 2009

Hi everyone,

This summer, I picked up a load of narcissus bulbs from a gardener who was moving. I also picked up an even bigger load of bearded iris rhizomes and by the time I planted almost 200 of the rhizomes, I decided to wait until I had more time to plant the narcissus. I then decided I would wait until Spring 2010 for the Narcissus. I stored them in a cardboard box, open for air circulation, in the back of the garage which is dark 95% of the time, only open when a car has to be parked and removed, twice a day. Well, I just went to take out a box of iris rhizomes for someone interested in buying some from me, looked over at my other box of narcissus bulbs, and the ones on the top, have sprouted, growing new stalks. What should I do? OMG! Should I plant them now, technically, still Autumn, but temps in the 40s to hi 50s/low 60s here in central NJ, as winter approaches. I am such a new gardener that I am clueless as to what I should do about the narcissus bulbs.

Anxiously awaiting your responses!

Thank you so much!

Jane

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Hi janes_garden,

Should I plant them now, technically, still Autumn,
Yes! Narcissus, aka daffodils, should be planted in the fall. Get with it. Do not delay. Do not even think about saving any of them for Spring planting. It would be very bad on the bulbs, if they even survived being stored and planted next spring. Their blooms could be compromised for 2010 and likely even 2011.

btw...Welcome to The Bulb Forum....and sorry if I sounded stern.

Sue...aka chemocurl

Bookmark   November 27, 2009 at 9:43AM
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

Plant your narcissus bulbs as soon as posssible. If you can't plant them all yourself, pot them up for forcing, and/or give them away to friends or neighbours. Emphasize that they must be planted right away. When I buy narcissus bulbs on sale in the late fall, I pot them up (for forcing) the first winter. Then in the spring I plant them out in my garden. That way I know that they will form good roots and survive the winter.

Bookmark   November 27, 2009 at 12:54PM
janes_garden

Thanks! It took 8 hours, but I planted all of the bulbs, about 600 (believe it!) and another 50 or so lily bulbs that I purchased from Breck's that had also begun to sprout.

Bookmark   November 30, 2009 at 7:54AM
linnea56(z5 IL)

Good! It least it's done. It's a good thing you didn't find them too late. 50 lilies! Wow. You ARE ambitious....

You have now had your baptism of fire as a gardener.

Bookmark   November 30, 2009 at 12:37PM
More Discussions
Ideas on Bulbs
Hello everyone, I was thinking of getting a bulb for...
nad0nad
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
what to do now, amaryllis?
My amaryllis had 5 large blooms, than sent up another stock...
penroy
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
Frozen Glad Bulbs
I screwed up. Dug up my gladiolus bulbs, but left them...
gorgar1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™