paperwhites not flowering

ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)November 7, 2012

I purchased 6 Ziva paperwhites from a local nursery, that had been storing them in their cool (refrigerated) cut flower section. I pottted them up as usual, but they are getting very tall and flowering very little. I have not had this happen before, so was wondering what was up. On a couple of websites, I found information that said paperwhites should NOT be refrigerated during storage or the flower buds might abort. Anyone had this experience?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zaffisc(Utah)

How odd... I'm forcing a bunch right now and have not experienced aborted flowers. I keep mine in the fridge (without fruit in it) and take a couple bulbs out every 2 weeks to force, so I have a continual supply of budding paperwhites and hyacinths throughout the winter. Right now I have several that are just about to bloom, and the buds looks really small - but I know they will expand soon.

I have been doing this for years, and always keep the bulbs in the fridge crisper. Every now and then I get a bad bulb that just rots and I toss it out when it becomes evident that no roots are forming - plus the water turns putrid.

Perhaps you just have a bad batch of bulbs... Or they just need more time to produce the flowers. Candy

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 10:21AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

Thanks for letting me know your experience with keeping paperwhites in the fridge. Maybe the bulbs were starting to dry out. I bought them at a reputable nursery that sells a lot of bulbs, but the paperwhites and amaryllis were the only ones in the refrigerated section.

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 10:50AM
More Discussions
Hipeastrum papilio x H.Donau
After repeated and many unsuccessfull crossbreeding...
haweha
stars of bethlehem
Anything new on the market that will kill stars of...
flowergirl70ks
When should you see buds within tulip foliage?
So, I have some tulip foliage sprouting in the garden....
ffreidl z5a
Is this a scilla?
I bought chionodoxa bulbs a few years back and this...
vaflowernut
How to plant Crinums with leaves
Hey all, Just received some mail order crinums which...
jscaldwell
Sponsored Products
Paperwhite Everyday Mason Jar Candle
$12.99 | zulily
Maison Soap Dispenser
$79.50 | FRONTGATE
Maison Guest Towel Tray
$79.50 | FRONTGATE
Maison Brush Cup
$49.50 | FRONTGATE
Maison Soap Dish
$39.50 | FRONTGATE