Okra problems

rockguy(7a)January 24, 2010

I had a problem with my okra, clemson spineless. The pods got small bumps on them. Last year was the worst, but I had it previous years later in the season. A bump or two isn't gonna make me throw it out but some were covered. The tips of the pods got a bad curl to them also. Somebody give me a clue how to stop this before it starts this year. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdilla

An infestation of the famed leaf footed bug will do it for me. About the only insect that bothers my okra.

Bookmark   January 24, 2010 at 8:04PM
fusion_power

There are also a few types of aphids that will feed on okra and cause bumps and curling. Ladybugs usually take care of these for me, but if the plants are heavily infested, I spray with neem. You can spray neem as a preventive that is pretty good at stopping problems before they start.

DarJones

Bookmark   January 24, 2010 at 9:08PM
nc_crn

Thrips can also cause this damage...especially if you notice scars on the pods, too.

Bookmark   January 24, 2010 at 9:32PM
rockguy(7a)

That's the problem, I could never catch anything doing the damage. Didn't see any aphids, my first suspect. I don't want to spray the pods with anything. I might try spraying the plant, just not the part I will eat.

Bookmark   January 24, 2010 at 10:45PM
fusion_power

that is why I suggested using Neem. It is pretty much harmless and acts more as a repellent than as an insecticide.

DarJones

Bookmark   January 24, 2010 at 11:41PM
nc_crn

Most of the damage done causing curling and knotting on the pods involve insects attacking the flower or flower parts pre-podding, fwiw.

Bookmark   January 25, 2010 at 3:04AM
rockguy(7a)

Aha! So I need to spray before blooming starts and at intervals. It's just so strange, Grown okra for a lot of years at several different places and not had this problem before. I always think of okra as bulletproof.

Bookmark   January 25, 2010 at 8:07PM
More Discussions
Who uses hog/cattle panels for Tomato Trellis? Need some advice
Hello, I'm close to going with some kind of livestock...
srj19
Starting a garden in Corpus Christi Texas
I am a beginning gardener and I have gotten some helpful...
mollysmom_2008
fertilizer for tomatoes
are tomatoes heavy feeders ? some say fertilize other...
westlaketomatoqueen
Are artichokes difficult to germinate?
I planted some 8 days ago... I got nothing. They are...
Peter
Fertilising
Hello All, I am planning my winter crop (live in New...
bopwinter
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™