Crinum vendor questions

cynthianovakNovember 5, 2010

donnabaskets or anyone....help

I want to give some the crinum milk and wine as a gift. I search and it seems to appear under several different botanical names. I would like to ask Nestor at bulbsnmore because you have used him and he seems to have a tremendous knowledge, but I don't find and email for him.

do you know the answer or which crinum is the tough old one for TX summers that can get dry?

thank you

c

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

I can't help other than to say if you click on the link below, it has a contact link on the left below the member info. That is assuming bulbsnmore is an Ebayer...I see they have crinums.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Ebayer bulbsnmore contact info...must log into Ebay.

Bookmark   November 5, 2010 at 12:28PM
cynthianovak

thank you, I am not remember ever registering with Ebay but will if I have to.

I did manage to remember that I got a copy of Ogden's Bulbs for the South at a used book store and there I found the answer.

Thank you and great job with those FAQs!
c

Bookmark   November 6, 2010 at 8:25PM
cynthianovak

I looked and read and signed up with Ebay and PPal to buy from this vendor!

The crinum I went for is the Goweni: I had no idea crinums were so varied and that their ancestry was often mysterious. I guess any bulb that's been here 200 years would have some secrets!

Bookmark   November 7, 2010 at 11:28AM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

Hi, cynthia. Sorry I didn't see this post before. It's very odd, but I have never seen the "common" old Milk and Wine lilies available commercially. I divided a large clump of mine about a month ago, but all the bulbs have been given to friends. I sure hate it. I would have gladly shared with you. My Stars and Stripes is very close to the old milk and wine. Goweni is beautiful. I feel sure you'll be pleased with it.

Bookmark   November 13, 2010 at 8:41AM
cynthianovak

thanks donna
I received my package from Nestor. I went for 1 Jumbo and 3 large. They are beautiful bulbs. You were very right about his bulbs.

So Goweni isn't the old Milk and Wine? Oh well, I tried. At least Goweni is supposed to like it in the heat even if it gets dry.

Bookmark   November 14, 2010 at 11:18PM
sylviatexas1

Cynthia, there are a million varieties of crinum, & most of them are probably known to their owners as "milk & wine".

& I don't think there's a crinum alive that won't thrive in Texas.

I looked up the Goweni, & it's gorgeous!

Bookmark   November 21, 2010 at 4:08PM
cynthianovak

thank you sylvia
the bulbs went to live in Bell county next to a log house in the country. When I started the journey to find milk and wine I was amazed. The process was a bit like a history of crinums in TX. Goweni arrived mid 1800's.

gotta love a plant that can live outside here for that long...and thrive!

c

Bookmark   November 21, 2010 at 11:35PM
bluebonsai101(6a PA)

I have to say, about half the hybrids out there look a bit like 'milk and wine' to me, but I am not very discerning I will happily admit!! Oddly enough, I sent some C. amoenum (a species from India) to a grower in TX a few years ago and he said they did not survive on the typical neglect a Crinum can take.....I admit, I was shocked when he told me that. I am glad you found some lovely Crinum for the garden :o) Dan

Bookmark   November 23, 2010 at 8:10AM
More Discussions
Gloriosa lily in zone 7b
Does anyone have experience growing gloriosa lily (gloriosa...
southerngardening24
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
Miracle Gro for Narcissus?
Is the 'all- purpose' Miracle-Gro okay to use for feeding...
Theresa McHarney
Storing Oxalis rhizomes
I've just repotted an old oxalis triangularis that's...
garystpaul
identify tulips
I have 2 tulips that I need help identifying. The little...
jessica_h
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™