Most ergonomic way to screen gritty soil?

maryartist(10b)March 14, 2014

Hi DIY community!

What's the easiest, most ergonomic way to screen your soil mixes? Like Tapla's square wooden screen "trays"? I like those handles... Maybe shaped like a kitchen strainer? Or shelves in a tub? I wonder how a machine might shake the screens for me...

Let's brainstorm!

Mary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Oxboy555(Las Vegas)

I've never tried it, but I think those half-sphere kitchen strainers might be the best way to go. They both contain and sift. I always have to be careful with a simple flat piece of screen that the saved chunks don't jiggle themselves right off the edges.

Bookmark   March 15, 2014 at 3:52AM
JerryVentura

I've been using Keene Engineering classifiers, works really well for me. They don't take up a lot of space.

Jerry

Bookmark   March 15, 2014 at 6:03PM
maple_grove_gw

Hi Mary,

Are you asking about a hardware cloth screen for removing the larger pieces, or a fine mesh screen for filtering out the small stuff? If the latter, let me suggest the elfa Wide Mesh 2-Runner Platinum (Item #10022537), which can be ordered here for around twenty bucks. Someone had recommended this on the forum several years back; I got it at the time, and has proved to be an excellent investment! A great tool for removing the sub 1/16" particles, it's very sturdy, and the best part is that it holds a decent bit of material. A real time saver, compared to other techniques I had tried previously.

-Alex

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 9:17AM
maryartist(10b)

Thank you, Oxboy, Jerry, and Alex! I went out and bought quarter-inch, half-inch and insect mesh screens at the hardware store, sold by the foot...Just something so that I can start making gritty mix while I figure out which of your solutions to buy online.

~ Mary

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 4:03AM
charina(6b)

Most ergonomic? Reach into your wallet, grab a 20 and pay a neighbor kid to do it.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 11:00AM
maryartist(10b)

Ha! YES, charina! I'm still sore from lugging bags of gritty mix ingredients through my building a few at a time every day. Next time, I'm hiring a beefy teenager to do the lifting AND the sifting!

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 4:43PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

I've seen framed screens suspended from wooden frames on legs, so that instead of having to hold up the screen and shake it, you just swing the frame back and forth within the frame. That way you are not holding up the weight of the screen full of material, just pushing it and having it swing back towards you for another push. Then the screened material drops down below.

This youtube example is not perfect but interesting, you might try a hand-crank or a belt attached to a stationary bicycle (pedal power!) instead of an electric motor. I like how it puts the chunks back into the compost bin and the good stuff into the wheel barrow.

Here is a link that might be useful: example of mechanized compost sifter.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 5:04PM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

Most ergonomic I ever had was an Archaeological Sifting Tools. I made it from a kids swingset, some boards and hardware cloth.

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 3:39PM
maryartist(10b)

Thanks, keep 'em coming!

Here's a funny one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh9ZSVY425U

And you can just watch the last 15 seconds of this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VBsFp6mjqE

I love this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pz8nsP3kv8

and WOW, this one is impressive! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA6miB3UKGY

(...Have I gone too far down the research rabbit hole? Yes.)

This post was edited by maryartist on Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 15:59

Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 1:04AM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

What "hoovb" described is qualified for "Most Ergonomic". It is a manual "Shaker Screen".

Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 6:13AM
maryartist(10b)

I'm asking because I suffered for several years from too much computer work, and I still have low endurance in my wrists from RSI - carpal tunnel and ulnar tendinitis. This online brainstorm is helping me to figure out the best solution for me to build, as a renter with little outdoor access and no yard.

Thanks!
Mary

Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 4:51PM
More Discussions
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
What to plant in 4 1/4 Gallon Food Grade Buckets?
I was recently given about 20 4 1/4 gallon food grade...
MikeinPA_Zone5b
What size pot to use for sweet potatoes
Would someone please tell me what size pot I can grow...
zzackey
fertilizing cuttings ?
Hello - I have some fig cuttings in 60% perlite/40%...
briana_2006
Reusing infested soil
Last year, my outdoor container-grown kale suffered...
SighBorg
Sponsored Products
Levolor Panel Track: Solar Screen Seed Stitch & Tides
Blindsgalore
Arteriors Home - Epicenter Vintage Brass Room Screen - DD2020
Great Furniture Deal
Veneto Luce Polished Chrome Six-Light 24-Inch Round Bowl Pendant with Lace Glass
Bellacor
Vision Bioethanol Fireplace
FRONTGATE
Artemide | Choose Wall Sconce
$245.00 | YLighting
Moritz 26" Wide Yellow Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Augusta Monogrammed Fireplace Screen - LIGHT GOLD
$500.00 | Horchow
Acacia Wood Outdoor 4-Panel Screen
Cost Plus World Market
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™