Tamukeyama and Fjellheim Full Repot (w/ pics)
Today was a typical late winter/early spring day in Olympia (wet and windy), so I decided to repot my other two Acer's into the gritty mix. I followed the same process as when I completed the Sensu repot earlier this week, including cutting the top back and removing all but 2 branches per node. I cut the Fjellheim back pretty hard, because I removed quite a bit of the root mass. The roots on the Fjellheim where mainly large circling and "J" roots that went back under the trunk instead of radiating outward. After removing the many "J" roots and cutting back the circling roots, I had removed more of the root mass than I wanted to, so I cut the top back pretty hard also.
Now on to the photos.
Tamukeyama before repotting. As can be seen, I had already wired the Tamukeyama into the beginings of the shape I want.
Macro of Tamukeyama nursery root ball.
Tamukeyama roots after washing and pruning.
Tamukeyama in new container.
Tamukeyama after pruning the top back a bit.
Fjellheim nursery root ball.
Fjellheim roots after washing and pruning.
Fjellheim in new container.
Fjellheim after quite heavy top pruning.
All three trees are all trussed up with twine and safe in the garage, waiting on leaf out.
I'm excited to see how these trees make out this summer and hopefull that I will be able to shape these trees into the minitures I want them to be.