When best to divide italian arum?

cweathersbyNovember 30, 2010

I love italian arums. I want to divide a couple of big clumps and move around the garden, but I have no idea what time of year would be best for that.

Also, which plants are your faves for winter interest? I've always wanted to try some of the perennial cyclamens, but they are so pricy that I'm scared to risk it.

Thanks in advance,

Carrie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mosswitch

When I first got my arum italicum, I found them growing by the roadside in a ditch, about 15 yrs ago. No idea why they were there, but I dug some up green and growing in the early spring, and transplanted them into my garden. They never even wilted, and I have them to this day. I've since transplanted some of the clumps, and they have done fine. I always move them when they are green so I can find them! I suppose the ideal time would be when they go summer dormant, however.

Bookmark   November 30, 2010 at 7:33PM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

I have divided arums in both fall and spring without problems. However, you will get lots better clumps if you leave them alone for as long as you possibly can. They are my favorite plant for winter interest here. I particularly like them mixed with evergreen ferns and evergreen carexes.

I have grown cyclamen too and I love them. They simply must have perfect drainage and as dry a summer as possible. Depending on the variety, they bloom in late summer through early winter and the gorgeous leaves stand through the winter. If you don't have the right conditions for them, Callaway Asarums are a great substitute, though they don't bloom.

Other plants I enjoy during the winter are dwarf Nandinas, hellebores, camellias, pansies (of course), ornamental kales and mustards, and very early blooming narcissus. My Grand Primos are at least six inches tall right now. I have known them to bloom as early as the week after Christmas, but that depends on weather.

Bookmark   November 30, 2010 at 8:59PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

I'm not sure exactly which variety you mean by 'perennial cyclamen' but if it's Cyclamen hederifolium I would recommend buying a growing plant in a pot rather than the dried corms (nomenclature varies!). They grow in dry shade under a birch tree in my garden and self seed with abandon. (My 'dry' shade is probably a bit wetter than yours.)

Bookmark   December 1, 2010 at 5:28AM
More Discussions
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
tulips not growing properly
i planted many many tulips for a client in a raised...
bernadettehinds
Tulips - Darwin Hybrid Pride grp
I am thrilled with the colors. Amazed they are blooming...
irisgal_z9
Tulips, coming up, leaf tips now yellow...
So this is the issue...planted a ton of bulbs in pots...
pinkkpearls
narcissus bulbs on clearance
Just wanted to share that I bought potted narcissus...
southerngardening24
Sponsored Products
Henri Studio Relic Nebbia Krakatoa Fountain
Lamps Plus
Black French Canister Accent Lamp
Cost Plus World Market
Glass Family White Wine Glass -Set of 4 by Alessi
$36.00 | Lumens
Cellular Light Filtering Skylight. Free Samples and Shipping!
Blinds.com
NW 3528 Single Row LED Strip Light 120/m 10mm wide Foot
EnvironmentalLights.com
Mackinley Cordless Garland
Grandin Road
Quest Concealed 2 Outlet Twin & Diverter Thermostatic Shower Valve
Hudson Reed
Bruck | Chroma Z10 Track Spot
$390.00 | YLighting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™