how long will dry bulbs last?

johndoug(z6 Philly)November 6, 2006

i picked up bulbs for tulips, hyacinth, crocus 2-3 months ago. how long will they last before i need to plant them in the ground?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.

The bulbs will be still viable, but it is very important to plant them out as soon as you can.

Ian

Bookmark   November 7, 2006 at 4:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

A lot depends on the conditions under which you are holding them. If you have them in a cool and moderately humid environment then they could hold for a little while longer.

If you have them in a warm place with low humidity then they will start to dehydrate. One consequence is that the flower bud which has already formed within the bulb will become withered as it doesn't have the resilience of the more starchy parts of the bulb. Yes, it may come up, but all you will get this season (usually) will be leaves and a less-than-best flower display (if the season is kind.)

When you touch the bulbs - are they 'rubbery' or still firm? The 'rubbery' ones need to be planted into a free-draining mix and not at 'normal' depth, IME. Much closer to the surface - as if you were doing a multi-layer planting for a sustained display.

Flowering or not - allow the plants to finish their full cycle - all the way to brown and withered leaves before lifting them and storing them over the summer.

If you can, plant them out in spring, directly from the container, with minimal root disturbance, so they can grow on.

A touch of tomato fertiliser mixed with the soil or potting mix will help develop healthy bulbs and, hopefully, flowers for the next flowering season. It can also improve disease resistance.

1 Like    Bookmark   November 8, 2006 at 2:54AM
More Discussions
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
what's goin' on
grocery store tulips , and am i blue
daves10z7annv
When should you see buds within tulip foliage?
So, I have some tulip foliage sprouting in the garden....
ffreidl z5a
Planting Dahlias, Daylilies & Peonies bulbs in Dallas now
Hi All, I live in Dallas, TX. Local Costco has a sale...
fruits_veggies
What happened?
How long do Tulips last? We had some come up and the...
steve46h
Sponsored Products
Arpeggio 5-light Chandelier
Grandin Road
Venetian Pendant Lantern
$599.00 | FRONTGATE
Rectangle Shade with Gold with Ivory Trim 10x16x13 (Spider)
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Amherst Polished Nickel Eight-Light Chandelier
Bellacor
Onieda Bath Bar
Lightology
Acanthus Tulip Finials Set of Two
$120.00 | Horchow
Diamonds Stair Treads
Grandin Road
Freejack 3-Port 28 Inch Linear Canopy
Lightology
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™