Could a crushed rock with similar characteristics

joewormMarch 12, 2012

and same size as perlite be used as a replacement for perlite in the 5-1-1 mix?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Where are you going to find crushed rock with similar characteristics? Pumice/lava rock comes closest - or Haydite; and yes, it can be substituted, on a size for size basis, though I don't know why you would want to?? Some use Turface instead of perlite, too.

Al

Bookmark   March 12, 2012 at 9:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joeworm

There is a local crushed rock available. Not sure it will work or what its characteristics are though the size is about the same as course perlite. I would think a pumice/lava rock would be more absorbant than perlite. Thought perlite was strictly used for areation. Assuming that was the case, then I would think any crushed rock would do. Obviously I'm wrong about that.
If I could easily find a 4cf bag of perlite that was affordable, I'd buy it. The stuff I found is not course enough though the price was right. Small bags of perlite cost too much.
As for the peat, I can buy a yard of crushed pine bark locally and get 1/2 yard of fine bark and dust from screening through an 1/8" screen that could be used in place of the peat, and a lot less expensive than peat.
I'm just trying to put together a good mix that will work with what is easily available at a price I can afford.

Bookmark   March 12, 2012 at 10:07PM
More Discussions
What's eating/happening to my bougainvillea?!?!?!
The leaves are being scaled and then turing brown with...
ninetyfivem3
Raised Bed Question
I bought 2 raised beds, 6' x 6' x 10". Can I stack...
sokrmomtx
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings I put in...
George Spector
Al and others..Foliage Pro fertilizer?
I just wanted to get an update on what you think of...
meyermike_1micha
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™