Could a crushed rock with similar characteristics

joewormMarch 12, 2012

and same size as perlite be used as a replacement for perlite in the 5-1-1 mix?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Where are you going to find crushed rock with similar characteristics? Pumice/lava rock comes closest - or Haydite; and yes, it can be substituted, on a size for size basis, though I don't know why you would want to?? Some use Turface instead of perlite, too.

Al

Bookmark   March 12, 2012 at 9:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joeworm

There is a local crushed rock available. Not sure it will work or what its characteristics are though the size is about the same as course perlite. I would think a pumice/lava rock would be more absorbant than perlite. Thought perlite was strictly used for areation. Assuming that was the case, then I would think any crushed rock would do. Obviously I'm wrong about that.
If I could easily find a 4cf bag of perlite that was affordable, I'd buy it. The stuff I found is not course enough though the price was right. Small bags of perlite cost too much.
As for the peat, I can buy a yard of crushed pine bark locally and get 1/2 yard of fine bark and dust from screening through an 1/8" screen that could be used in place of the peat, and a lot less expensive than peat.
I'm just trying to put together a good mix that will work with what is easily available at a price I can afford.

Bookmark   March 12, 2012 at 10:07PM
More Discussions
Trying Petunias indoors
I thought that I would try to grow some Petunias indoors,...
nopets
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
Help with 5:1:1
Some lol-basic questions about quantities needed for...
containergardenerbeginner
Zuchinni/Courgette, lots of leaf growth, but not many fruit
Hi, My courgette plant is doing great in terms of leaf...
bopwinter
Small container producing good?
hi.. my experiments with potted plants Fertilizers...
amriteanukul112
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™