Fertilizer Injector

gltrap54January 28, 2012

Just purchased my first EZ Flo injector & I need to know what others are using for granular fertilizer in their injectors..... Miracle Gro comes to mind, but some sources say that it's not a good choice..... Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barrie2m_

Miracle Gro would probably be OK if your water is acidic or void of calcium(hardness), but otherwise you will likely block emiters in whatever fertigation system you use when typical phosphate fertilizer combines with the calcium to form calcium phosphate, a precipitate.

You can use soluble calcium nitrate or soluble potassium (Nutri-K) with litle problem. Irrigation supply centers should stock both or you could contact manufacturers like Millers, Viking Ship, etc.

Bookmark   January 28, 2012 at 10:18PM
pnbrown

Should give children nice strong teeth, though.

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 4:46AM
gltrap54

Thanks bmoser! Googling here to decipher........ What I do know is, our water supply (from the Kansas River via city water)is somewhat hard, soooo I'll need to do some research with the companies you've mentioned.

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 12:20PM
gltrap54

Thanks pnbrown! Only problem is.......... my children wear dentures..... ;)

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 1:14PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Low or no phos and the liquid ferts work best in mine. Many brands available. Granulars like MG have to be pre-dissolved to the n th degree and even then carefully filtered before use.

Dave

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 2:02PM
gltrap54

Thanks Dave! Hadn't given much thought to using a liquid fertilizer. All this fertigation process is very new to me, so I plead ignorance at this juncture.... Back to the web......

Galen

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 4:26PM
gltrap54

Ummkkk......... I've researched organic liquid fertilizers & I'm a bit confused (as usual). Does seaweed stand alone when used in my injector or is it designed to be a supplement to another fertilizer?

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 10:38PM
art1

Seaweed is usually best used as an additive to fertilizer such as with fish but will enhance any nutrients in the soil or compost that are already existing.

There's also a complete soluble powder fertilizers that has come on the market that seems ideal for an organic option for the Ez-Flo may be worth a try. see link below

Here is a link that might be useful: organic plant magic - alternative to miracle grow

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 10:14PM
More Discussions
weed or seedling
In the area of this seedling my daughter put radish...
sepulvd
What's Growing On Inside This Winter
Been getting all my vegetables started for my spring/summer...
onkloudnyne
Will I be too late to start a vegetable garden for the summer?
Hello! My husband and I will be moving from Florida...
merritt623
WHO calls Roundup a probable carcinogen
Very interesting... I tend to remain neutral towards...
Peter (6b SE NY)
tomatoes
What's your favorite?
sweetgardenangel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™