Massive Error - Over Limed

redshirtcat(6a MO StL)March 1, 2011

Eyeroll. I prepared a small batch of 5-1-1 for the herbs I had started from seed and maybe for the peppers and a bunch of other things. Overall I have close to 6 gallons. About a week ago I had put together a batch of 1-1-1 as well - that batch was about 25 gallons.

Today when I double checked the forums to see how much lime to add to my 5-1-1 I saw that Al said 1/2-3/4c per 12 gallons or so. I did some math and decided that about 1.5c of lime would be good for my 5-1-1 mix.

Obviously I was thinking I had 25 gallons of that when I had only 6. I did not notice until it was too late.

Long story short: I already potted about 25 plants in a mix that has, maybe 4 times as much lime in it as it should. Can this be rectified somehow without having to repot? Do I need to repot these plants immediately and toss the soil? Can I amend it in some way so as not to waste it?

Ugh, such a stupid thing to do... annoyed with myself.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

I think you should repot into fresh soil, but save the spoiled soil. If you want, I'll do some quick calculations (or you can) and let you know how to use the adulterated soil as the lime fraction of the new batch.

Al

Bookmark   March 1, 2011 at 10:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
redshirtcat(6a MO StL)

If I used 6 gallons with 1.5 cups of dolomitic lime I would want to basically make 3 more batches without adding lime and then mix it all together, correct?

That would be 24 gallons with 1.5 cups of lime.

Bookmark   March 1, 2011 at 10:52PM
More Discussions
What's eating/happening to my bougainvillea?!?!?!
The leaves are being scaled and then turing brown with...
ninetyfivem3
Why can't I grow vigna caracalla? Can you?
Hi Everyone I'm in z11 and took a while to get my hands...
rexedwardfairy
Making my garden easy care
I need an easy are garden. Because of ill health ,...
Carry2
Container garden help wanted, re: corn
I am wanting to try something new with my container...
klo12
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™