using garden soil for potted plants

dookiefaceMarch 9, 2009

Hi,

I am new to this whole gardening and soil mixing. After doing a bit of research, I am starting to put this into practice.

I found some cheap scotts garden soil on sale so i thought why not make this garden soil into potting soil..

So i put 1cf of garden soil in a bucket and threw in some coarse sand perlite and lime into it.. i threw in about half the bag of sand and half bag of perlite.

I am not sure if i should add anything else or if it is the right texture. I want it to drain fairly well and not compact.

But, i am wondering if this type of mixture is fine for my potted plants.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

If you continue your research here, you'll find the general consensus is that garden/topsoil is probably going to be much less than an ideal choice because of its tendency to compact, it's lack of aeration, and its high water retention when employed in container soils. What works in the garden is often best left there when it comes to soils.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: Click me if you want more details

Bookmark   March 9, 2009 at 9:41PM
dissident(4A)

I wouldn't use it. Al here is pretty much the expert on container gardening here and he's always polite.. I would suggest looking up some of his threads or doing a search on "soil discussion" or "turface" to get some more information on what might be better for house plants.

Generally you should avoid using any "soil" in container gardening/house plants. It simply won't provide the aeration and drainage required.

Bookmark   March 10, 2009 at 12:27AM
Dan Staley

I would be surprised if there is an intro hort class/website/text anywhere on the planet that advocates garden soil in pots. If there is one, the teacher needs to be replaced.

Dan

Bookmark   March 10, 2009 at 10:14AM
jodik_gw

A very long time ago, I tried using garden soil in a container... it turned into a lovely lump of clay concrete in the middle of the pot, and every watering just ran over and around it, but never saturated the pot-shaped lump. It was a complete disaster! It did teach me an important lesson, though... garden soil is just that, garden soil. It's for use in gardens, not pots!

I recommend reading Al's article on Container Soils... using Al's recipe for gritty inorganic mediums for containers has made me a much more successful gardener!

Leave the garden soil where it belongs... in the garden! :-)

Bookmark   March 11, 2009 at 11:19AM
redneck_grower

To Dan, re: garden soil in containers.

Unfortunately, there are loads of websites that advocate topsoil, compost, and regular sand in containers. (Google "topsoil containers", and you'll get a bunch of those recommendations). If I remember correctly, even a previous (not sure about the current) edition of Sunset Western Garden Book suggests topsoil, sand, etc. in containers.

Bad recommendations, I think most of us would agree. One day I'll take some pics of two native bush lupine seedlings I transplanted into containers. One is in a pinebark/peat/perlite mix, the other in my native, sandy soil. The plants are 1-year old now, and the differences are PROFOUND!

Cheers!

Bookmark   March 11, 2009 at 12:22PM
Dan Staley

If I remember correctly, even a previous (not sure about the current) edition of Sunset Western Garden Book suggests topsoil, sand, etc. in containers.

!

I have the last three Eds, rg, and none of them say this, fortunately. I know several of the consultants to the book personally and they would have screamed bloody murder had this entered print.

To the 'websites' point: My attempt at brevity resulted in confusion, apologies. I meant to convey 'formal introductory horticulture class' - type website.

There is no 'wisdom' button on The Internets, there is only information. This sad fact allows the spread of misinformation everywhere. One must be careful to use trusted and respected information, and use our critical thinking skills to identify 'trusted and respected'.

Dan

Bookmark   March 11, 2009 at 12:58PM
redneck_grower

Thanks Dan, 'guess I "disremembered" a Sunset reference to "bad stuff" in containers!

Bookmark   March 11, 2009 at 1:11PM
More Discussions
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings I put in...
Florida Native
Pre-watering before Fertilizing Vegetables
I have read on GardenWeb where some people (who appear...
stringz
anything you wanted to talk about vii - prolly mostly ot
I guess I didn't realize the last thread was about...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Arabian Jasmine help
Hello I have had an Arabian Jasmine in a pot on my...
flyinbtsomypants (WestCent.FL Z9b-10a)
RE: Brush Cherry ( Josh? )
Hi Josh, I thought I would get this off of Al's thread...
halocline
Sponsored Products
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Accent Rug: American Rug Craftsmen Rugs Chandelier Latte
Home Depot
Eagle One Recycled Plastic Adirondack Classic Foot Stool - C425FSBLK
$196.99 | Hayneedle
Dryden Elisabetta Latte Rectangular: 5 Ft. 3 In. x 7 Ft. 10 In. Rug
$298.40 | Bellacor
Four Seasons CafT Au Lait Rectangular: 5 Ft. 2 In. X 7 Ft. 6 In. Rug
$155.00 | Bellacor
Yellow Succulent Garden Stone
$19.99 | zulily