Dying to see something green growing

AiliDeSpain(6a - Utah)January 18, 2014

So I started some herbs :) Cilantro, Parsley, and Basil. I am going to keep them under lights and use them to satisfy my urge to garden until it's time to start the majority of my seeds. Anyone else start anything super early?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ediej1209(5 N Central OH)

I have a window box type planter sitting in front of my south-west facing patio door with lettuce and Swiss Chard sprouting. I don't know how well it will do but it's better than looking at dirty snow all the time. If nothing else I will add the lettuce sprouts to a couple of salads as micro greens!
Edie

Bookmark   January 18, 2014 at 9:10PM
planatus(6)

Mid-Jan is legitimate planting time for bulb onions and seed-sown shallots provided you can keep the seedlings under very bright light. I think elongated Long Red of Tropea onion (an heirloom with many names) is the Brandywine of onions, and everyone who can should grow it at least once.

Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 7:15AM
gjcore

I also started some herbs and greens a few weeks back. Parsley, mizuna and lettuce which I transplanted out into the coldframes. A variety of basil and some marjoram under the grow lights which are doing really well. Been plucking a handful of leaves most days to add to salads. Probably start a couple flats of onions in a few weeks.

Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 10:32AM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

The other day I started some corn salad in my cold frames. I will start some lettuce when a get a nice day. With things like lettuce (Most cold crop) the difficult part is to get the seeds germinate. Once you do that (indoor or in cold frame) they cane be transplanted into garden. Better yet, under a plastic hoop.

Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 4:46PM
wertach zone 7-B SC

I stuck some mummified, sprouting, red potatoes in a pot, near a sunny window. They most likely won't survive. But I've got something growing! They are kinda leggie! :)

Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 4:52PM
More Discussions
Do eggplants have high yield?
I'm going to grow one. Thinking of growing two. Do...
shijitake
Are artichokes difficult to germinate?
I planted some 8 days ago... I got nothing. They are...
Peter
Plastic hardware cloth
How easily can critters chew through it?
hairmetal4ever
Leek starting woes
I'm having trouble getting my leeks going. A couple...
bart1
Who is gardening right now? Show me pictures
I spent my day in the garden. My turnips and kale made...
katy_bug
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™