Tulip Apricot Beauty Companions

marcindy(z5b, Indianapolis, IN)November 18, 2011

I love that tulip, but each spring I regret that I have not given it a nice companion, either early perennial or other smaller bulbs. I tried blue hyacinths once, but they did not overlap in blooming time. Any ideas what could work? Maybe you have tried a good combination before? Thanks in advance for any suggestion or idea.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pizzuti(5A)

Try grape hyacinths, which bloom a little later than regular hyacinths and are blooming for a longer time.

There are also spring-blooming forget-me-nots that have a really great blue color contrast with Apricot Beauty.

In general, pansies are good companion plants for tulips because of their blooming period; although they are annuals you'd plant them in the very early spring or even the fall and they'd be in full sow in time. The smaller-flowered violas are good re-seeders too so you wouldn't have to re-plant.

Bookmark   November 20, 2011 at 12:25AM
marcindy(z5b, Indianapolis, IN)

Thanks pizzuti, it's funny just last night I came across ans article about pansies and the smaller flowered ones that would make good companions for those tulips. I'll give them a try. Thanks for your suggestions.

Bookmark   November 21, 2011 at 10:37AM
prairiegirlz5

I just got my new issue of Garden Gate magazine, and on the back cover they pair Apricot Beauty tulip with woodland phlox and Gold Coast juniper. I found a phlox called Clouds of Perfume that needs part shade, humus rich soil that matches the color shown. The effect was vibrant and fresh.
That pairing inspired me to think about planting lady's mantle (alchemilla mollis) with my apricot colored daylily and maybe ageratum, as I have more sun and the daylily blooms later in summer. The apricot shade is too pretty to pass up, but I also have found it hard to combine.

Bookmark   February 11, 2012 at 1:31PM
prairiegirlz5

I'm so sorry, I just noticed that this was the Bulbs forum. Please disregard the previous post.

Bookmark   February 11, 2012 at 1:56PM
More Discussions
what to do now, amaryllis?
My amaryllis had 5 large blooms, than sent up another stock...
penroy
Transfer water vase hyacinth bulbs
Hello, I have two hyacinths that were forced in water...
veganinpurrsss
Crocus Bulbs in Fridge
I fell behind in the fall and ordered some crocus bulbs...
bahamutangel
identify tulips
I have 2 tulips that I need help identifying. The little...
jessica_h
Please identify?
My son has these growing in his front lawn. I don't...
gardenbug
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™