tulip spacing

rickardo(5 Denver suburb)November 5, 2009

How many tulips should I plant in a border 15 ft wide by 2ft deep? I want to plant several varieties for different heights and blooming times and I want it to be pretty full & colorful. Any advice sure would be appreciated

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cheleinri(z6 RI)

I looked at a bulb vendor's website (Brent & Becky's) and they recommend 4-5 bulbs per square foot, so your garden would need 120-150 bulbs. If you get more than that don't worry because you can plant them pretty close together without anything bad happening. You might know this but tulips are divided into groups according to bloom time. For example, single early, fosteriana, and double earlies are early, and single late, lily-flowering, and double lates are late with triumphs and darwin hybrids in the middle. There are other categories too..look at any online bulb vendor for bloom times. Pick a color scheme and have fun! You might want to layer minor bulbs on top or in the front too..you can enjoy some early crocus before the tulips..

Bookmark   November 5, 2009 at 6:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rickardo(5 Denver suburb)

thanks for info. I did not know that about blooming dates. Looking at the sale at BloomingBulbs.com it should only cost me around $45 for the whole bed!

Bookmark   November 6, 2009 at 12:58PM
More Discussions
Gladiolus bulbs, direct sunlight
I would like to try planting some this spring in New...
xyz10
Ideas on Bulbs
Hello everyone, I was thinking of getting a bulb for...
nad0nad
what to do now, amaryllis?
My amaryllis had 5 large blooms, than sent up another stock...
penroy
identify tulips
I have 2 tulips that I need help identifying. The little...
jessica_h
Poll: What new flowers will be coming up next Spring?
So, I went a bit crazy this fall and will have planted...
posierosie_zone7a__
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™