Should I plant perennials ON TOP of flower bulbs?

robcorreiaNovember 26, 2007

Hello fellow gardeners,

I started a new bed by planting lots of different bulbs and now I need some hardy perennials to cover the area.(It's the foundation planting in my front yard).

Can you plant ANY kind of plant by flower bulbs?

Do you plant those ON TOP of the bulbs? Do they grow THROUGH the perennials or should I avoid planting on top of the bulbs? Can't seem to find the answer anywhere, so I really appreciate any help from my experienced friends!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ljrmiller(z7 NV)

I plant bulbs in fall, and the perennials in spring. However, in no-frost, low-frost areas, there isn't any clear time for planting one thing and not another. You could stick with low-growing "gentler" ground cover perennials right on top of the bulbs. By "gentler", I mean NOT English Ivy--very few bulbs can push through that. Sedums would probably work okay, and vinca is pretty much okay in my experience. Or, you could wait until the bulbs start to come up (the spring planting time in my area) and then plant between the bulbs. That's probably the safest option with already-planted bulbs.

Bookmark   November 26, 2007 at 7:11PM
hopflower(z8/z15 CA Sunset)

You can also plant annuals on top of bulbs if you want to save the area for bulbs to either repeat themselves the following year, or for you to replant the area with bulbs. You can change the annuals you choose each year as well.

Bookmark   November 26, 2007 at 7:40PM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

I have over planted bulbs with pansies and had blooming plants all winter with the bulbs easily coming up through them, in my case Jonquilla hybrids. Al

Bookmark   November 27, 2007 at 9:08AM
robcorreia

Guys, thank you so much for all your advice!

Bookmark   November 28, 2007 at 2:57AM
cynthianovak

I stick bulbs below my lantana and salvias. Usually, I plant the daffodils down deep them plop the perennials on top in spring right between the foliage.

Later, if I want to add more bulbs, I sut the perennials off to stubs in winter, then plant my tulips around the base and through the roots. These plants are so tough they don't seem to mind...unless of course I pull the roots out.

I do the same with canas but they are harder to plant around later and tougher for the bulbs to come through.

Bookmark   December 1, 2007 at 10:07PM
More Discussions
Where does everyone order bulbs from?
I was just wondering what websites everyone uses to...
rph1234
When should you see buds within tulip foliage?
So, I have some tulip foliage sprouting in the garden....
ffreidl z5a
Will my (most likely) forced tulips ever flower again?
I bought some potted tulips in Feb. '14. I transplanted...
Amy Biondolillo
What happened?
How long do Tulips last? We had some come up and the...
steve46h
Snowdrops in the green...
Does anyone know of a source for purchasing snowdrops...
scott_madison
Sponsored Products
Organica Brown and Brown Rectangle: 5 Ft. In. x 8 Ft. In. Area Rug
$300.95 | Bellacor
UMA Enterprises All Weather Iron Plant Stand - Set of 2 - 65316
$210.00 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Safavieh Rugs Organica Charcoal 2 ft. 6 in. x 8 ft.
Home Depot
Cherry Blossom Cast Aluminum Hose Guide
Signature Hardware
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
$79.00 | Home Depot
Pink Perennial Sun Garden Four-Root Set
$14.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™