Big Boy Tomato.....

margaretmom(6)March 19, 2011

Hi everyone. I've got several varieties of tomatoes (Big Boy, Super Beefsteak, Steak Sandwich) growing nicely in cowpots. As a matter of fact they are growing so well the roots are exiting the cowpots, so this weekend I think I need to do something fast. Our estimated last spring frost isn't until the end of April. I was going to put them in-ground at that time, but I'm thinking instead of transferring them to containers and keeping them in my bay window where they'll get sun. I've been trying to research the size container I should use. I'm imagining it'll be different for each variety because they each grow to different sizes. The Big Boy is estimated to grow 8-10' tall! Does anyone have any idea what size pots I should be looking at?

This is the first time I've started a garden on my own and I really want it to do well.

Thanks! Margaret

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sprtsguy76(Santa Clara Ca. 9b)

So what your saying is your considering growing them in containers rather than in the ground right? If so I would recommend 10-15 gallon size containers for just about any indeterminate tomato. You can go smaller but the smaller you go the more you will have to water in the heat of the summer. And if you really want them to thrive check out A1's 511 soil mix.

Damon

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 1:28AM
margaretmom(6)

10-15 gal? Wow! I would have def gone too small. Thank you. I'll check out the soil mix also.

Bookmark   March 23, 2011 at 8:23PM
ljpother(3a)

Why not put them in larger pots now and plant them in the ground when you expected to do it. I plan to pot up two or three times before I plant my tomatoes in the ground.

Bookmark   March 24, 2011 at 10:17AM
margaretmom(6)

Hi ljpother. Have you tried this before. I thought about potting up (which I think I may end up doing) but I worry. I know tomatoes transplant well, but I wonder if they would suffer as a result of multiple transfers.

Bookmark   March 25, 2011 at 4:57PM
jane__ny(9-10)

Repotting stimulates them. I would repot at least 3 times before they went outside. I live in your zone and many times I couldn't put them out until late May.

You need to make sure the weather is stable and the soil temps warm or they will rot.

Don't even try to grow them indoors unless you have a greenhouse. I use a regular bagged mix for tomatoes. They grew like weeds!

Jane

Bookmark   March 25, 2011 at 5:21PM
margaretmom(6)

I never knew that! I thought re-potting in general was stressful (and therefore deleterious) to plants. I'm so impatient about putting them outside, but I'll wait till May also. I really would feel awful if I lost them.

Margaret

Bookmark   March 25, 2011 at 11:01PM
More Discussions
CRF burn if 5-1-1 sits a while?
I have some 5-1-1 that was fully made, including CRF...
hairmetal4ever
Reusing infested soil
Last year, my outdoor container-grown kale suffered...
SighBorg
Repotting into 5-1-1 soil. Questions about 511 materials.
Hey all! I am a newbie with 5 container citrus. Right...
emilygreenie
RE: Brush Cherry ( Josh? )
Hi Josh, I thought I would get this off of Al's thread...
halocline
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™