How many daffodils per square foot?

albartsch(z6 MA)November 10, 2008

I have a lot of bulbs and not much garden. How many narcissus have you been able to cram into a square foot?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladychroe(z6 NJ)

It depends on how long you plan to go before you have to divide them. I plant mine 6" apart, which is usually what the packages recommend. That way, the clumps can get pretty big before you have to lift and break the bulbs apart to keep them blooming. How many years before they get to that point depends on cultivar, soil type and depth.

If you were to plant them closer together, you could, and it would look nice and full the first year or so. But the bulbs will divide into clumps and become crowded sooner, and then you have non-blooming bulbs and more work on your hands.

I could see doing this if you expected to have more beds ready in future years to replant the divisions into. But if not, you're just making more work for yourself in the long run.

Planting deeper and in heavier soil will slow down bulb division slightly. Hope this helps you. Hey... you could always plant them in the lawn, and have an excuse not to mow it until June!

Bookmark   November 10, 2008 at 7:34PM
More Discussions
Any small tulips which voles & squirrels won't eat?
I would love to plant some small tulips, in the 4 to...
Eimer
Ideas on Bulbs
Hello everyone, I was thinking of getting a bulb for...
nad0nad
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
Daffodil foliage emerging
I'm not one to panic when spring bulb foliage appears...
agardenstateof_mind
Storing Oxalis rhizomes
I've just repotted an old oxalis triangularis that's...
garystpaul
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™