What kind of flower is this????

heather0530(6)November 25, 2008

I bought these bulbs off of the internet and they sent several different types of bulbs. I have no clue what these are or how to care for them. I'm assuming they are some type of daylily because they were only opened throughout the day. I have already dug them up in case they aren't hardy in my zone 6 but I'm not sure what or how to store them for the winter. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you,

Heather

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

What an interesting bloom, but I am not familiar with it. It is not a daylily though, and daylilies are hardy to your zone anyway.

You might want to ask at the link below, as you will likely get an answer quite quickly. If it is hardy in your zone, it might be advised to replant it in a sheltered area, and mulch well, or something else to get it through the winter. Whatever it is, they can advise you I'd think, of the best way to keep it.

and...
Welcome to Garden Web!

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Name That Plant Forum

Bookmark   November 25, 2008 at 9:02PM
fxxy

That is a Trigida, a Mexican bulb . NOT hardy in zone 6. Ocurs in several different colors.

Bookmark   November 25, 2008 at 10:02PM
gardengal48

More correctly, that would be Tigridia pavonia, aka tiger flower or Mexican shell flower. The hardiness is similar to that of gladiolus - if you can successfully overwinter glads in the ground, you should also be able to grow Tigridia inground as well. Otherwise, plant them in spring for summer blooms and dig and store (as you would glads) over winter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tigridia

Bookmark   November 26, 2008 at 9:47AM
heather0530(6)

Thank you! I believe you are right. They said there were some of them in the bag but I wasn't sure which was which. I also had some bloom in red. Very pretty! I'm not sure if gladiolus are hardy in my zone or not. I've read yes and no but I don't know anyone who has them in my area. I pulled mine up anyway just to be safe. A couple questions, how do I store them and do the bulbs multiply? This season was my first ever to have a garden of my own and I really don't know too much. I'm learning though. Thanks so much!

Bookmark   November 30, 2008 at 12:27PM
heather0530(6)

Since everyone is sooo good at naming that flower, I have a couple more pics. This next one is very similar to a gladiolus but it's not one. At least I don't think it is. I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first or last time.

This next flower came up but never developed a flower. I don't think I planted it in time before it got too cold in my area. I should of got it in the ground earier in the season but I ordered these bulbs later. There are two of them to the left of the boxer statue, next to that little green bush (sorry I am horrible with names, I'm a beginner). All you can see is the stem and a couple of long leaves. I have a label next to them but it faded in the sunlight. I guess I'm going back to my black sharpie instead of my purple one. Thank you for all your help!!!

Thanks,
Heather

Bookmark   November 30, 2008 at 1:49PM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

I don't know what your coral colored flower is above, but will be interested in knowing what it is if you find out.

As far as the ones with only foliage...might they be a variety of amaryllis? The one in the link below is the only one I think that is hardy in our zone.

I guess I'm going back to my black sharpie instead of my purple one.
Actually a lead pencil or china marker/grease pencil is even better when it comes to not fading.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Lycoris Squamigera

Bookmark   November 30, 2008 at 10:32PM
ladychroe(z6 NJ)

I'm pretty sure that coral flower IS a type of gladiolus. It looks like a hardy gladiolus. That kind is usually sold in a mix so I don't know what the name of it is, but it's really pretty.

BTW, Sharpies fade within weeks for me. Like Sue said, try a grease pencil. I also use a ballpoint sealed with clear packaging tape.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardy Gladiolus Images

Bookmark   December 3, 2008 at 11:07AM
heather0530(6)

Thank you! I'm definitely going to get one of those pencils. Hopefully next year I'll be able to keep track of what's what with something that won't fade.

Bookmark   December 6, 2008 at 11:52AM
More Discussions
Please identify?
My son has these growing in his front lawn. I don't...
gardenbug
What to do with tulip bulbs
Recent visitors from the Netherlands brought me 30...
chickadee3a
Ideas on Bulbs
Hello everyone, I was thinking of getting a bulb for...
nad0nad
Will fertilizer seep through mulch?
This is my first season in a new home in coastal South...
Ralph Thayer
Unsure what to do with cyclamen
There are a lot of cyclamen posts but none seem to...
cosuperfly
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™