A good deal or not?

katob Z6ish, NE PaNovember 14, 2012

You get what you pay for. That's what I hear people say all the time and I have to disagree. Sometimes you get more.... But sometimes you get less. A lot less. I'm posting this because I often see great sales claims for bulbs that are 70 to 80% off, free shipping, top quality.... I of course am curious until I see what the price still is.

Today I got an 85% off clearance email deal on grape hyacinths. Five bulbs for something like a dollar forty five. I almost choked when I saw the original price of 9.99 for five bulbs!!!! Yikes!! A reputable company such as Brent and Becky's has them 10 for about 3 dollars.... That would be about a dollar fifty for five as an EVERYDAY price.

In general I'm wary of any seller that offers a lot of deals and coupons.... I could name companies but there are watchdogs out there if you just google.... And if you're still unsure, post here and get a second opinion. Just be careful, if it is a good deal we might encourage you to spend even more.

And btw, the Brent and Becky grape hyacinths are 10% off this week. 2.70 for ten :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

This is why I don't buy plants except in person. I don't like surprises.

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 9:40AM
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

Our local Walmart is selling most of their bulbs at half price, so 40 tulips for $5, or 12.5 cents per bulb. The bulbs are healthy, a good medium size, but not much choice of colours left. I also got some hyacinths and narcissus for 33.3 cents each, and some crocus for 10 cents each.

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 3:02PM
katob Z6ish, NE Pa

Good deals ontnative, those cheap clearance (sam's club in my case) bulbs are what got me into trouble in the first place. How can you resist a bag of 60 or a box of 100 tulips for 7 or 8 bucks!? I'm sorta past the "don't know what you'll end up with" buying, and want to get pink tulips when I buy pink.... So I try to resist the box stores..... but don't always. Usually they are a case of you get at least what you pay for.

I don't mind buying from reliable places, even sight unseen, it's some of the other places that scare me. Again today a clearance sale email, one of the deals was 20 mixed Darwin tulips for 8.95..... Thalia daffs for almost 1 dollar a bulb....

I must be getting over excited for the real clearance sales..... I should probably just mind my own business.
Btw I have some generic daffs if anyone wants them for the cost of postage, first come, first served, just email me.

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 9:53PM
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

Apart from the "mixed" hyacinths (15) that I got on sale at Walmart, everything else was a single colour. I, too, do not like mixed colours of bulbs, unless it is only two different colours. Even then, I much prefer to buy my bulbs in single, described colours, with proper scientific name, etc. I potted up the hyacinths for forcing, so I can mark the colours when blooming. Then they can be planted out in the garden with others of the same colour.

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 12:18PM
More Discussions
Plants with deficiencies
My plants always suffer from nitrogen deficiency and...
chris_p1
Need daffodil bulb advice in NC
Got 100 daffodil bulbs, planted a month ago.In S W...
missdeborahp
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
Planting Dahlias, Daylilies & Peonies bulbs in Dallas now
Hi All, I live in Dallas, TX. Local Costco has a sale...
fruits_veggies
narcissus bulbs on clearance
Just wanted to share that I bought potted narcissus...
southerngardening24
Sponsored Products
Frog Furnishings Recycled Plastic Adirondack Ottoman
$95.00 | LuxeDecor
WallsNeedLove Spacey Squares Self-Adhesive Wallpaper - WP59-8FT
$66.00 | Hayneedle
Tiffany Style Fruit Jeweled Pendant Light with Dome Shape Shade
ParrotUncle
Armen Living Antique Brown Chair with Natural Jute and Accent Nails - LC10791BR
$649.00 | Hayneedle
Laundry Kit for DUMMIES - LDY-01890
$32.99 | Hayneedle