What to expect?

miclino(5)November 7, 2011

I planted Allium giganteum, hyacinth and miscari white bulbs for the first time. Are these like other bulbs? Does the foliage die off in early summer? Are they generally left alone by squirrels/deer/rabbits (my tulips get eaten).

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

Hyacinth and Muscari will have 'gone over' by midsummer. However, expect Muscari to start showing again in late summer /early autumn.

Not sure about the Allium, though the edible members of the family are mostly dormant over summer.

Rabbits don't usually bother the Hyacinths and Muscari. Swamp hens (pukeko) gleefuly shred the leaves of garlic and chives... sigh.

Bookmark   November 8, 2011 at 2:53AM
miclino(5)

Thanks, do all three tend to spread over time? I know muscari does, not sure about the other ones.

Bookmark   November 8, 2011 at 10:52AM
denninmi(8a)

The species Allium giganteum never does much for me here. It tends to fizzle out after a few years. The various hybrids like Gladiator and Globemaster are reliable and do multiply, rather freely in fact. I did lose an entire bed of Globemasters to a vole the winter before last, which made me just heartbroken, but this was the only time I've had problems. I don't think the vole maybe ate them, but just lived in the bed and shredded them to make tunnels. Who knows, though.

Bookmark   November 8, 2011 at 1:36PM
More Discussions
Crocus Bulbs in Fridge
I fell behind in the fall and ordered some crocus bulbs...
bahamutangel
Are my Calla Lilies sprouting too soon?
I live in British Columbia, we are still having very...
bcroselover
Poll: What new flowers will be coming up next Spring?
So, I went a bit crazy this fall and will have planted...
posierosie_zone7a__
tulips - when to stop watering? how to cut?
I have two questions regarding tulips: 1. when the...
anna_beth
identify tulips
I have 2 tulips that I need help identifying. The little...
jessica_h
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™