modified gritty mix for fabric (ground wicking) containers?

hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)March 12, 2014

I might end up using fabric pots (Smart Pots) for many of the tree seedlings I'm growing. Since fabric pots are porous and mine will be in touch with the ground, they will not have the PWT issues that a standard container will.

However, I like the gritty mix idea as it's more "permanent" and does not degrade over time...and some of these plants might be in containers long enough to justify using the gritty mix (being up-potted of course to bigger smart pots).

However, lots of evidence says the standard gritty mix would drain and dry too fast with ground contact.

So I thought...how could I modify it?

My first thought, use sharp sand instead of the crushed granite. But then I ran out of ideas.

Sharp Sand, Peat, and maybe still use the Turface in a 1-1-1??

Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

I'd skip the gritty for that application and go with something that holds more water, is cheaper, and easier to make - like maybe 5:3:1, screened bark: unscreened Turface: peat. It doesn't make sense to go through the effort/expense to make the gritty mix if you're not going to, or in this case - NEED to, tap into all it has to offer.

Al

Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 11:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

I'm just so confused by all this. I totally "get" the concept of PWT and why it's an issue, but I also know that fabric pots have ground wicking the moisture out - what I *don't* want to have happen is this...

I water my plants (in the fabric pots) at 7:00 when I leave for work, and come home at 5 and they're already wilted from summer heat and sun.

I *almost* had that happen even with MG mix last summer a couple times!

Bookmark   March 15, 2014 at 8:13AM
More Discussions
Cor-ten planters safe for growing edibles?
I'd like to grow some edibles but the best sun is in...
midwestgal67
Container gardening
My clivia, 20-30 yr old lives in a pot, maybe 15 gal....
josephene_gw
Coarse Perlite for 5:1:1
Hi all, first off is "coarse" the correct...
halocline
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
Container potatoes in straw?
I tried growing potatoes in straw in garbage bags last...
beesneeds
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™