Amaryllis 'Red Lion' leaves turning dark red

WonderWeaselDecember 29, 2011

Hello-

I recently purchased a Red Lion Amaryllis bulb kit from Home Depot. The bulb I'd received had several new green leaves (about 1/2"-1" length). I potted it up using the dehydrated coco coir disc that came with it and placed it under my fluorescent light fixture (a t5 fluorescent tube fixture with one cool white and one soft white bulb, placed about 1" above the top of the plant.) The next day, I noticed some streaky red spots on the leaves, but didn't think much of it. The day after that, the leaves have turned a dark red, and seem to have a slight pliability to them compared to when I first bought the bulb. I've included a picture of the leaves (sorry for the clarity, I had to take the pic with my cell phone). My main concern is whether or not this is a normal reaction for a plant that has been starved for light for so long and suddenly begins getting a regular dose of it, or if there is something wrong with the bulb, and I should return it. Any and all help/advice is appreciated!

--Jordan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

I'd suggest you asking at the link below, as it is quite active.

My guess is that the bulb and foliage went into shock due to too much light, too quickly, but someone will know for sure, (I imagine anyway) at the link below.

I hope your Red Lion can be salvaged.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Bookmark   December 29, 2011 at 9:16AM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

To me that looks like a flower bud, not leaves. In which case it is supposed to be red. Your bulb looks like a double bloomer. The leaves will appear later. I just grow my Amarylis on the kitchen counter. There seems to be enough light from the windows without any special care. They are pretty much fool proof. Don't worry. Enjoy your flowers.

Bookmark   December 31, 2011 at 5:53PM
pizzuti(5A)

It's normal for plants to produce red pigment as a defense mechanism when they are shocked with sudden light. But normally you'd have a little pale green or white area at the base of the buds where the new tissue is emerging from the bulb and has not yet been exposed to light.

The buds in that picture also look like they may be dead. Is it possible that the plant froze? Only wait a couple days to see if more emerges to find out.

Bookmark   January 4, 2012 at 7:39PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

I am still pretty much 100% certain those are the flower buds and not leaves. They almost always appear before the leaves on these prepared Amaryllis. I don't see anything wrong with that plant at all. The ready potted Amaryllis sold in shops for Christmas are intended to be put straight into a warm light room. I grow them every year and have never had one 'go into shock'. In fact I have one in front of me right now. Just keep it sufficiently watered and wait. They are the easiest things in the world to grow.

Bookmark   January 5, 2012 at 12:59PM
More Discussions
Tulips - Darwin Hybrid Pride grp
I am thrilled with the colors. Amazed they are blooming...
irisgal_z9
Plants with deficiencies
My plants always suffer from nitrogen deficiency and...
chris_p1
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
Will my (most likely) forced tulips ever flower again?
I bought some potted tulips in Feb. '14. I transplanted...
Amy Biondolillo
Need daffodil bulb advice in NC
Got 100 daffodil bulbs, planted a month ago.In S W...
missdeborahp
Sponsored Products
Robert Abbey | Edwin Wall Sconce
$253.00 | YLighting
Page Bench - Key Largo Grape Purple
Joybird Furniture
Belmont Outdoor Floor Lamp
Grandin Road
Celina Four-Light Polished Chrome Island Pendant with Candy Glass
$390.00 | Bellacor
Cherish Wood Lounge Chair in Dark Gray
$299.00 | LexMod